National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Township of Zsáka [¤]
Click to zoom

Zsáka

(Hajdú-Bihar County)

Spade shield erect and azure, its base is curved to a point. In shield a lion rampant and or is borne, at its feet a six-pointed star argent. Above the shield a closed military helm decorated with a three-pointed crown or. Mantling on the dexter: azure and or, on the sinister gules and argent.

The Township of Zsáka can be briefly characterised as follows:

The settlement is located in the southern, Bihar part of the county, in the zone of attraction of the town of Berettyóújfalu. Zsáka lies by trunk road No. 47, a road, which links the towns of Debrecen and Szeged. Zsáka can be found at the western edge of the Bihari plains at a distance of 51 kilometres from the county seat, at 16 kilometres southwest of Berettyóújfalu and 80 kilometres northeast of Békéscsaba.

The number of local inhabitants is 1810. The area of the settlement covers 288 hectares and together with the outer fields it is 7593 hectares.

The history of the settlement can be described as follows:

In the period of the Magyar Conquest Zsáka was inhabited by Slavs. In addition to contemporary artefacts this fact is attested by the so-called Várad register, a document, which mentions the settlement by the name Izsólaka. The Árpád-Age name of Izsólaka by the 1330s was shortened to Izsáka.

In 1552 the settlement of Isaka was the property of Osvald of Isaka. The castle at Zsáka grew out of the mansion of the Isakai family.

In the 16th and 17th centuries the castle of Zsáka played a significant role in the defense of the region. It was destroyed after the failed military Polish campaign of György Rákóczi II, as a result of which Transylvania also fell. In 1677 the castle was described as ruinous.

From the 17th century onward the landowners of the area were the members of the Rhédey family. They built a family mansion in the village, then in 1858 enlarged it into a castle-like building, which is a listed building today.

Zsáka was traditionally part of Bihar County; in 1773 it was called a village, in 1877 a community, in 1882 a township, then in 1895, when the registration of the population was introduced, it became an administrative centre, where a registration office was set up. In 1950 a new council system was introduced in the country and it was the year when Zsáka became an independent settlement of Hajdú-Bihar County.

From 1971 onward the township of Zsákaserved as centre for several joint settlements including Darvas, Furta, and Vekerd.

From 1990 onward it is an independent settlement, the seat of the district notary.for the village of Vekerd. From 2003 onward Zsáka has been functioning as Board of Housing and Public Construction in the administrative area of Darvas, Furta and Vekerd.

The sights of Zsáka:

Rhédey Mansion

The Rhédey mansion was built in 1858 by Count Gábor Rhédey. Its renovation was completed in 1998. The building of the mansion today houses the collection of the local library and the permanent exhibition of the works of Gyula Madarász, a local artist. The building is surrounded by an 8-hectare park with the settlement’s sports grounds and a kindergarten, which holds 99 children.

Telephone number: 06-54-712-525 Fax: 06-54-712-526.

4142 Zsáka, Felszabadulás u. 18.

E-mail: zsja@freemail.hu

Calvinist church:

The building of the Calvinist church first appeared in an engraving dated 1600. The Árpád Age church got partially destroyed by the end of the 16th century. The Calvinist congregation of the settlement had its church built in 1718 and in 1784 a tower was added to the church building.

Romanian Orthodox church:

The first wooden church of this kind was built in 1669. It was replaced by the contemporary church, representing neo-Baroque style in 1791. The building was renovated in 1991 and then it was re-consecrated.

Village Hall:

The Village Hall was built in 1906 and it is surrounded by a sculpture garden, in which a monument was erected after the first world war to commemorate its victims.

Public affairs in Zsáka are administered by the independent local government in a free and democratic way. In addition to exercising local power the representatives of the local government are also to cater for public services .

Tel./Fax: 06-54-442-024.

E-mail: zsaka.pm@axelero.hu

Forest School, Guest House and Youth Hostel:

The old school building by the main road in the vicinity of the Rhédey mansion was renovated in 2000 and it was transformed into a complex of Forest School, Guest House and Youth Hostel. Its six rooms are equipped with all modern conveniences, a kitchen for warming up meals. The complex accomodates 42 guests.

Telephone: 06-54-712-525

Mobile: 06-30-375-4392, Fax: 06-54-712-526.

Telecommunications Centre of the Foundation ’For the Future of Zsáka’

In the Telecommunications Centre eleven PENTIUM 4 computers, a telephone, a telefax machine, a copier and internet access are available for the settlement’s inhabitants and visitors. Local schoolchildren are also taught computer literacy here.

Tel: 06-54-565-002

Fax: 06-54-565-003

E-mail: zsja@freemail.hu

Ferenc Kölcsey Primary School

The building of the school was completed in 1984. It has eight classrooms, four specialised classrooms, one daycare centre, three supply rooms, a library, a health centre and one gymnasium with changing rooms and bathrooms, a staff room, two offices and two dining rooms. The school building has a nice memorial park around it.