National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Zalaszentgrót [¤]
Click to zoom


(County Zala)

The coat-of-arms of the town Zalaszentgrót is a shield with the base curved to a point, bordered with a wavy band or. In the field gules an arm vambraced argent, holding a short scimitar, also argent, all borne alaisé. Under the arm a laurel branch vert. The vambraced arm holding the scimitar is a reminder of the borderline fights against the Turks, while the laurel branch symbolises heroism shown during these fights.

Zalaszentgrót is a small town of beautiful location in the valley of the River Zala. It is situated relatively near to the borders of three neighbouring countries, Austria, Slovenia and Croatia.

According to sources, Zalaszentgrót was named after Bishop St Gerard (Gellért). The first written mention of the settlement goes back to the 11th century. The castle was also built around that time, but later it was destroyed by the Turks several times. On the site of this castle the landowner Batthyány family had a beautiful mansion built in late Baroque style.

The second half of the 19th century witnessed steady development, and many citizens were able to rise into the middle class. As a result, in 1887 the settlement became a district seat, as well as the region's industrial and commercial centre.

The Voluntary Firemen's Association formed in 1882, then in 1898-9 they built the first public elementary school (today Miklós Zrínyi Primary School).

The dynamic development around the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries continued between the two world wars as well. In 1920 Imre Károlyi established a brick factory, and the health centre was also built. The predecessor of today's cheese processing plant, the butter factory started to operate in 1928.

Until 1979 Zalaszentgrót had been a district seat, then on 1 January 1984, as the one hundredth in line, it was raised to the rank of town.