National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Veresegyház [¤]
Click to zoom

Veresegyház

(Pest County)

The town’s coat-of-arms can be described as follows:

Shield erect and quarterly, its base is pointed. Fields in the dexter chief and in the sinister base party per fess with horizontal bendlets gules and argent (so-called Árpád stripes). In dexter base azure, a five-petalled water-lily is borne, encouped and argent. In sinister chief argent a strawberry is borne encouped and gules, stalked vert, its two leaves, vert are leaning toward the edges of the shield.

Shield is also adorned with a five-petalled water-lily argent, and the flower is held by a hollow strawberry stalk. Each upper corner of the shield is decorated with a round water-lily leaf, with its cleavage clinging to the corner. These leaves are entwined with the strawbwerry stalk in a semicircular shape. Strawberry stalk is also holding the water-lily and from the charge of the flower on both sides of the shield two strawberry leaves, partially covered, are hanging.

Veresegyház is located at a distance of 30 kilometres from Budapest by the brook Sződ-Rákospatak, in a valley of the western range of the Cserhát Mountains, ina n area commonly called the Gödöllő Hills. The town can boast rich historical past, nice lakes, Baroque monuments and beautiful natural scene. All these features have made Veresegyház a popular resort. The present-day town has 11,000 inhabitants and considering the number of holidaymakers and those who own holiday homes in the town, the number of local residents reaches 20,000 in the summer season. The town’s area is 2856 hectares.

Via rail Veresegyház is accessible from Budapest and Vác, by coach there are regular services from Budapest, Vác and Gödöllő. By car it takes 20 minutes to drive from Budapest to Veresegyház on motorway M3.

Town inhabitants used to live from agriculture by making use of the nearby markets of the capital. Growing strawberry was one of the most traditional agricultural activities at Veresegyház, and, thus the strawberry appears as main charge in the settlement’s coat-of-arms.The ceiling fresco of the Roman Catholic church of the town also features a scene, when, as sign of their respect, young women offer strawberries to the Holy Virgin.

Veresegyház has always been the commercial, cultural and touristic centre of the area and today it is still a dynamically developing and growing town. The total number of building grounds with all public utilities exceeds 6050.

Health care is provided by three general practitioners, two pediatricians and several specialists employed by the Mission Health Centre. This latter organisation cares for the outpatients of the nearby settlements as well.

Local educational institutions include a primary school, a music school, a secondary schhol, a secondary vocational school, a privately owned kindergarten and a foundation school.

Inhabitants and visitors can use the services of a shopping centre, 320 smaller shops and enterprises, five hotels and eight resaturants. In addition to the local post office Veresegyház has two banks, the offices of several insurance agencies, two petrol stations, 10 car repair shops, and three driving schools.

The town sports club owns two football fields, one handball court (illumintaed at night) and there are organisations in seven different kinds of sports. Two tennis courts and three fitness centres serve those who are interested in a healthy lifestyle. Veresegyház also offers opportunities for those who are keen on horseback riding and coach driving.

Veresegyház can boast an idyillic lake, the so-called Lábas Lake, which got first mentioned in writing as early as 1430. The lake and its environs were frequented by visitors in the early 1900s. (Wekerle beach and guest house). The beach got destroyed during the second world war and it was reopened in 1960. Part of the lake is a bathing area, while the other half is an anglers’ paradise.The lake is also famous for its rare floating swamps and water-lilies. The water lily is another charge in the town’s coat-of-arms.

Due to major developments in the area two beautiful lakes came into being. They are called Ivacs and Haldorádó. Several angling associations came into being at Veresegyház.

Near the cold-water swimming pool (Találkozók Street 1) the local government owns and operates a thermal bath and a guest house. The water tempreature is 65 C? and it comes from a depth of 1520 metres. Its water – components are identical with the medicinal water of Széchenyi fürdő, Budapest- is beneficial for people suffering from rheumatic and locomotor diseases.

Traditional celebrations and the new public buildings and art works make the town increasingly attractive for tourists.

Cultural life is very active at Veresegyház. There are several art groups and folk ensembles in the town. The gallery of the shopping centre in the main square regularly houses art exhibitions, the town’s Roman Catholic as well as the Calvinist churches are the scenes of organ concerts. Veresegyház is also famous for its folk costumes and folk traditions, all of which are cherished by several folk ensembles in town.

The history of the settlement

Veresegyház has been continuously inhabited since the Árpád Age. The first church was built here in the same period. Its first written mention goes back to 1375. The nearby lake was mentioned in writing as early as 1430. There are two theories to explain the origin of the settlement’s name. One of these seems to be less acceptible. Legend has it that the conquering Mongols slayed the inhabitants in the church building and their blood tainted the walls of it red. The other, more likely theory says that the town’s church had unplastered red brick walls. The name suggests that in March 1241 the Mongols were very likely to destroy the settlement.

Between 1526 and 1686 Veresegyház was also under Turkish rule. At that time the village consisted of 30-40 houses and all of them remained inhabited.

In the Middle Ages Veresegyház was considered a significant property and in 1638, when the feudal comitats were established, Veresegyház became a regional centre and twelve other villages were administered from it. In the 1730s the bishopric of Vác was reorganised and Veresegyház became a regional administrative centre. In the early 19th century it served as residence of the the deputy sheriff of the district of Vác. In the 19th and in the 20th centuries the district doctor and the distric veterinarian lived and worked here. Veresegyház used to belong to Pest-Pilis County, then it became part of Pest-Pilis-Solt County. In 1876 the settlement was part of Pest-Pilis-Solt-Kiskun County, and from 1950 onward it is a settlement of Pest County. First it belonged to the district of Vác, then, after 1965 it was annexed to the district of Gödöllő. Today’s village of Erdőkertes used to be part of Veresegyház until 1956. Since the districts ceased to exist as administrative units, due to the existing natural, economic and cultural .ties between Gödöllő and Veresegyház, the town today belongs to Gödöllő’s zone of attraction. On April 1, 1970 Veresegyház became a municipality and the number of its inhabitants was skyrocketing. (1970: 5371 people; 1980: 6019 people; 1990: 6373 people). On december 31, 1991 the number of local inhabitants was 10,520. The towns houses are fully equipped with public utilities including electricity, gas, running water, telephone, sewer. On July 1, 1999 Veresegyház was raised to the rank of town. Several celebrities of Hungarian history and cultural life visited Veresegyház in the past including Ferenc Rákóczi II (July 7-10, 1705), King Joseph II on October 16, 1784. András Fáy was a resident at Veresegyház between 1812 and 1818 and his visitors during these years were the poets Ferenc Kölcsey and Sándor Petőfi. The young Petőfi paid two visits to Veresegyház in 1843. It was from here that the troops of János Damjanich left for the battle of Vác on April 10, 1849. Emperor Joseph Francis I also paid a visit to the area in 1857.

The monuments and sights of Veresegyház:

One of the most important architectural monuments is the Roamn Catholic church, erected to honour St. Elizabeth. (95 Fő St.)The building of the church was initiated by Migazzi, bishop of Vác in 1777 in a one-nave front-towered Neoclassical style. Its main altar features St. Elizabeth. The marble-like altarpiece and the pulpit represent valuable 18th century art works.

Golgotha is a remarkable group of Baroque statues which can be found in the churchyard. A World War II monument, entitled ’Mother’ is seen in the square behind the Roman Catholic church. This work of art by Pál Kő, a Kossuth-prize winning artist was unveiled on August 20, 1996.

The Calvinist church of the settlement was built between 1784-1798, after Emperor Joseph II had issued his famous Tolerance Act in 1781. (1 Kálvin Square).

The Local History Museum can be found at 95, Fő Street and it features local folk costumes, tools and household objects. Open upon request.

The oldest building of Veresegyház (82 Fő St).was built in the 18th century and it used to be a roadside inn. It is a popular restaurant today.

In the neighbouring Heroes’ Park one can find a World War I Monument and a carved Transylvanian gate, a gift of Atyha, the town’s sister settlement in Transylvania.

In the yard of the József Fabriczius Primary School at 77-79 Fő Street, a pair of statues can be found, entitled ’Owls’. It is a work of art by sculptor Mária Szabó. In the assembly hall of the school building a large-size ceramic work can be found by artist Ádám Würtz, entitled ’Tale and Mythology’.

Other statues in town include works by Mitsui Sen, a Michelangelo-prize winning Japanese sculptor and graphic artist, who currently lives in Hungary, but who is also related to Veresegyház. His works can be seen in front of the Post Office building at Fő Square, at the railway station of Ivacs as well as in the Japanese-Hungarian Friendship Memorial Park, located in a romantic setting between the lakes of Fenyves and Ivacs. His work entitled ’Rebirth’ was created in 1996 to celebrate the millecentennial year of Hungary.

Decorative fountains are to be found inside the shopping centre at Fő Square and in the school building of the Mézesvölgyi Primary School (53 Fő St. and 5 Mogyoródi St.). These are works by a local artist, Éva Kun. A large_size wood carving entitled ’Owl-flamenco’ can be seen in the building of the formerly mentioned primary school. Its author is László Megyeri, a local wood carver.

The Öreg Lake is to be found in a beautiful setting on Találkozók Road. Its main characteristics are the floating swamps and the rare species of water lilies

On Külső-patak St. a bear shelter awaits visitors all the year round. In an area of four hectares 34 bears live freely and in a fenced-off area visitors can see wolves.