National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Velemér
Click to zoom

Velemér

(The County of Vas)

Shield erect azure, base curved to a point. In field azure a church or with a tower and three windows. From dexter a star or is borne encouped, from sinister a Sun or is borne encouped. Under the church a cup or.

Velemér is the last island of peace, where sharp mountain air, charming places and people, fresh milk, mushrooms, artefacts, traces of witchhood, old wooden cottages, bell towers, churches and thousands of marvels wait for the tourists.

Geographical situation

Velemér and the valley surrounding it recall the marvellous atmosphere of the centuries following the Settlement of the Hungarians, the village also keeps memory of the era proceeding to the Settlement.

The village, which is known about its medieval church is situated in the south-western part of today’s Vas county, in the territory called Inner Őrség, in the valley of the Velemér creek, which has its source in the Alps. Slovenia is the western neighbour of the county, Zala county borders it from southeast. The stone, brick and wooden houses of the village are surrounded by a forest. In geographical and ethnographical sense, the village is an organic part of the surrounding territories.

The actual place of the village has changed during the centuries; the moveable wooden houses of the village were first built on the slopes and the valleys of the surrounding hills. Only the little lakes of the old village remained, they provide water for the games of the forest, and also a resting place for hikers. The medieval church and the cemetery are situated on the Paprét, the Calvinist church, the offices of the local government, the grocery, the pub and the library is situated in Alsószer.

The village is situated on the two sides of the road running parallel to the creek. Along the road, however, there are cultivated lands; most of the houses were built farer from the road, forming parallel streets. The houses built on the hill are often referred to as Felsővelemér or Felsőszer, while the south-eastern part of the village is called Alsószer. Felsőszer is divided into several parts: Paprét, Vasok-szer, Botok-szer and Bot-szeg.

The houses of the Alsószer are 500-600 metres away from the houses of the next village, Szentgyörgyvölgy, although that village is situated in another county.

Roman Catholic Church

The Roman Catholic church of the village is of national importance. The church is situated in the south-eastern part of the village, near the forest, above the village, next to the cemetery. The church was built at the end of the 13th century in late Roman-early Gothic style farer away from the road. The church has been serving since 7 centuries.

The late Roman-early Gothic style church was made famous by the paintings of János Aqulia, who painted the fresques of the church in 1377. The works of the painter has remained in five settlements only (Apart from Velemér, in Mártonhely and Bántormány, Slovenia, and in Fürstenfeld and Radkersburg, Austria) In 1378, János Aqulia of Radkersburg painted the wall of the church with scenes taken from the Bible and the lives of the Saints. There are priceless remnants of fresques on the single towered, tiny church.

In 1808 the church remained without people, and it was in a very bad condition, so they people of the village stopped using it. According to an 1825 report all stone furniture were taken away. Rain almost moulded the fresques. The Calvinist schoolmaster, Imre Gózon, of the other village, Szentgyörgyvölgy, realized the state of the church, and it is due to him that the church was renovated. He invited Flóris Rómer, who was the father of the renovation of Hungarian relics, to Velemér in 1863. After it Gózon organizes a collection of money to save the church. Ferenc Szenczy, the Bishop of Szombathely also helps him, he builds a roof on the church in 1865. However, the rain leaking into the church destroys the fresques. When in 1940, Ágoston Pável, the director of the museum in Szombathely visits Velemér, the church is surrounded by bushes and trees, and it is in a very bad condition. Renovation started, and since then the church has regained its original shape. The renovations started in 1941, they continued in the years between 1956 and 1968, and were finished in 2003. The church has one nave, the shrine is octangular and the tower is situated on the western part of the church. The shrine is arched, the nave has never been arched. The tower has gates in it. The outer gate opens to the base of the tower, which is also the entrance of the church, the inner gate is of Gothic style and it opens to the nave. On the western wall of the tower there are three windows, two cut as loopholes. The third one is an adorned Gothic window. On the other three walls of the tower similar windows are cut. In the southern wall of the nave there are three windows cut, on the eastern wall of the sanctuary there is an arched window, while on the southern wall there is a rounded window.

On the southern and northern walls the adorned bricks remained. The ends of these rows of bricks form a human head. The church is mainly made of brick and stone, the gates and window holes all made of stone. The eastern window has been carved in medieval times, as the paintings of Aqulia show it. In the northern wall there is a chamber with an adorned gable.

As Flóris Rómer wrote:

Most of it has been stolen lately, only the triangular gable with a rose in the middle and the two towers remained. The frsques surrounding it almost vanished. This proves that the fresques were painted before the formation of the chamber.

The church was surrounded by a trench. The church was renovated after a thorough archaeological and art historcal study, and it was completed in 1966. After that the fresques were renovated also. What do we have from the original wall paintings? A great valuable part was destroyed by mouldering and moisture, however a part of the self-portrait of the painter, the lion of St. Mark the Evangelist, a part of the angel of St. Matthew the Evangelist, the eagle of St. John the Evangelist, a part of the ox of St. Luke the Evangelist, the scene of the angel’s presentation to the Virgin Mary, the figure of St. Michael, the journey of the Three Kings, the picture of St. Ladislaus and St. Nicholas on the northern wall, the representation of St. Elizabeth on the southern wall and the representation of the Virgin Mary on the western wall are clearly seen. In the neighbouring cemeteries there are interesting Calvinist tombs.

The inhabitants of Velemér are mainly Calvinists, although there are some families who follow Roman Catholicism.

Telehouse

In 2004 a Telehouse started to operate in Velemér. It is situated in the library of the village. What can be found here? In opening hours all computers can be used: 4 Pentium (Celeron) multimedia computers. One computer is equipped with Linux and an Internet access. Internet access is divided among the other computers as well. A colour Xerox machine, scanner, printer, and a fax reader can be reached via the computers.

Accommodation

* Pilebird guest house: www.extra.hu/cserepmadar/www.tar.hu/cserepmadar

* Guest House of Velemér

* Homepage: www.enternet.hu/velemer/

Yellow Lily Path

From Velemér there is a 6.3 kilometres long path that connects the village to Magyarszombatfa. The path is called the Yellow Lily Path. The path was opened in 2004 in the Őrség National Park. The path runs along the Inner Őrség presenting its geographical and cultural values. The path was formed in a way, that hikers can follow the road without the aid of a professional hiker without causing any harm to the environment. Hikers may find eleven boards along the path. These boards provide information about the history of the church of Velemér, the folk architecture of the Őrség, the flora and fauna of the Szentgyörgy creek and surrounding forests and meadows, and about the agricultural activities of the territory. The path was named after a typical flower, the yellow lily, of the territory. The flower, which is called Hemerocallis lilio-asphodelus in Latin, was described first at the end of the 1500’s by a Dutch botanist, Carolus Clucius. He took some plants to his home. One type of the yellow lily became a national flower of the Netherlands, we Hungarians bought the flower as well. Only several people know that the original habitat of the flower was the Őrség. The formation of the path was assisted by the Dutch government as well

European Assistance for the Development of the Countryside

In the villages of Magyarszombatfa and Velemér there are only 400 inhabitants; however, the common-governed two villages try to maintain their values and inhabitants. The two villages started important development plans in the near past. Their will and its outcome are juried by an international jury of the European Village Renewal Fund. Professionals from Austria and Germany questioned the inhabitants of the villages, they tried to gain as much information as possible about these two tiny villages. Both villages participate in international programs of village development. The program offers development, but the villagers not only develop their villages because of the contest. The development of the village is also important for the inhabitants themselves, and the tourists, who visit the villages.

The homepage of Velemér: velemer.freeblog.hu