National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Vasvár [¤]
Click to zoom

Vasvár

(The County of Vas)

In his Gesta Hungarorum, the chronicler Anonymus mentions Vasvár as Castrum Ferreum. Later the settlement became the denominator and seat of the mediaeval county of Vas. From the reign of King St Stephen, it was the centre of a bailiwick and a chapter. King Béla IV settled the Dominican order, and soon a complex of monasteric buildings was built, which later substituted for the destroyed castle.

The settlement's privileges as a town were reinforced by several kings, the first written evidence of which was a document by László IV (the Cuman) from 1279. During the Turkish occupation the settlement lost its importance as a centre, and got virtually depopulated. Following the Middle Ages, it was a market town of minor importance, then, towards the end of the 19th century, it became a municipality. Vasvár regained its status as a town in 1986.

The coat-of-arms of the town of Vasvár is a shield with the base curved to a point. In the field azure a castle argent borne alaisé, with a roofed tower in the middle, and flanked on both sides by a bastion crenellated three. Over the top of the tower a cross is borne. On the tower and on the bastions a window sable respectively. In the middle of the castle a closed gate sable with a hoisted portcullis argent. Above the dexter bastion a six-pointed star or symbolising the sun, above the sinister bastion a man-faced moon increscent argent.

Vasvár's present coat-of-arms takes its origin from the Middle Ages. The triple-towered castle, the moon increscent and the star above first appeared in the town's seal in 1414. However, its origin goes back to as early as the 13th century. Although with certain alterations, the same charge can be seen in the 18-19th century seals as well.

The only known mediaeval depiction does not clearly reveal the details of the upper part of the middle tower. This part, as if covering the tower, on more recent versions had at first a closed, later an open crown verdured, with a cross issuing from it. In the 15th century, stylised birds were also borne flanking the tower on both sides. The present official coat-of-arms of Vasvár, approved in 1991, goes back to an early 20th century version which, in the place of the crown, features a simple spire crested by a cross.

Photos

1./ The Main Square – The Dominican Monastery and Church

2./ The Main Square by night with the Well of Kings

3./ Vasvár – Nagymákfa – Forest School and Tourist Hostel

4./ Városi Óvoda - The town’s kindergarten

5./ The Town Hall

6./ The Vasvár earth-works - reconstruction

7./ The Catholic Church – Community House

8./ The Szentkút Chapel

9./ The thermal bath

10./ The Main Square with Christmas decoration

11./ The privately owned ‘Iván House’

12./ A playground with carved wooden folk toys

13./ The Ambulance Station