National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Uraiújfalu
Click to zoom

Uraiújfalu

(Vas County)

Heraldic description

Triangular shield erect. Shield quartered with azure and or. In first field a natural rooster is borne encouped. Second and third field or. In fourth field three spread of corn, a sun on the sinister. Under the shield a ribbon or is borne encouped, the word Uraiújfalu is read in azure.

Motives of the coat of arms

Rooster: The representation is always naturalistic. Ancient motive, can be present as a symbol of agriculture. In addition it can represent watchfulness and victory over the powers of the dark.

Spread of corn: Representation is always or., one of the basic symbols of agriculture.

Sun: Representation is always or. Ancient motive, it means giving life and banishing darkness. In the Christian system of symbols, it also bears a positive meaning.

The rooster and the spread of corn are to represent the agricultural activity in the village, the village is known for its poultry breeding. Sun tries to represent one part of the village, Szentivánfa also. (Szentivánéj = Midsummer’s Night = solstice)

Uraiújfalu is a village on the left bank of the river Rába, in the Kisalföld, in Vas county. The origins of the village date back to the Settlement of the Hungarians. The most ancient name of the village was Uraj, later it became Újfalu and Szentivánfa. The village was first mentioned in a charter in 1221. The village was joined together with Szentivánfa, which also has a history dating back to the middle ages.

The Lutheran church was built in 1784, in a Baroque style, the furniture is also worth of attention.. Near to it, Nagykúria can be found, which, in its present state, bears Romantic style. In Szentivánfa there is a church dedicated to St. John, the Baptizer, which was built in the 14th century in Gothic style, although nowadays it resembles Baroque in its present shape.

Near the village there is a protected oak forest, an interesting place to hike. The naturalistic and adventurous presence of the river Rába, which flows near the village, also offer interesting excursions.

Amália Bezerédj (1804-1837), the writer was born in Szentivánfa. Her first important youth novel was titled Flóri’s Book, but she had an important role in establishing kindergartens in Hungary as well. Tablets commemorate László Szelestey, a poet, politician, and national major, and Sándor Figedy Fichtner, a major, Hungarian royal military chorister and military componist, on the walls of their birthplace.

In the cemetery of Uraiújfalu, the grave of Benedek Tóthfalusi Tóth, a Hussar First Lieutenant from the 1848 War of Independence, can be found. Also one can find the grave of Lajos Döbrentey, a Lutheran superintendent, the grave of his son, Gábor Döbrentey, who founded the very high standard Transylvanian Museum, and who became the director of the National Theater.

In the village lived and worked the last empirical man and animal healer of Vas county, Mihály Németh, who was the shepherd of László Szelestey’s father, Gergely Szelestey.