National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Újszász [¤]
Click to zoom

Újszász

(Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok County)

Shield erect, its base is rounded. In base an arched root of a tree is borne, proper (brown). Two trees are issuing from its edges, their trunks and branches are proper (brown), their leaves vert (green). Between the trees, on a bridge of roots a lion is borne or and it is holding a scimitar argent, hilted or in its raised front paw. Below the bridge of roots a horn or is hanging on a strap. Shield is topped by a three-towered mural crown argent, its gate is closed.

The symbolism of the town’s coat-of-arms can be interpreted as follows:

The two trees with the joint root represent the most ancient symbol of the town of Újszász, and, at the samre time, this motif is a reference to the unique plant, which is to be found in the park of the mansion of the Orczy baronial family. The lion borne between the two trees as well as the charge of the horn below them are all motives from the coat-of-arms of the Orczy family. In addition to this origin the horn is also a reference to the original Jazygian population of the town. The silver mural crown is the symbol of the rank of town, which was granted to the town of Újszász in the 1990s.

Újszász is a settlement on the western edge of the County of Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok. It lies between the town of Szolnok and Jászberény, and it borders on Pest County.

The original name of the settlement was Szász, or Szászi and it came into being in the period of the reign of Árpád’s dynasty. The settlement’s first written mention goes back to 1347 and in that period the settlement had a church built of stone, a fact, which means that Újszász was one of the most significant settlements of the County of Outer Szolnok. In the early 15th century Újszász was inhabited by Jazygian population. During the military campaigns of the period of Turkish occupation Újszász was destroyed and then rebuilt on several occasions

In 1727 István Orczy was one of the landowners of the Újszász farmstead. It was him who had a towerless chapel built here in 1740 which was to honour King St. Steven.The core of the modern settlement was built around this chapel from 1744 onward. The first village seal goes back to 1771. In the 19th century members of the Orczy family had two mansions ( today both of them are listed buildings) and a church built at Újszász.

With the railway construction works of the late 19th century Újszász was gradually gaining importance and it became a railway hub of great significance int he entire region. (The meeting point of three railway lines). The first railway line began to operate between Újszász and Szolnok in 1872. Electricity was introduced in 1935.

In the 1950s the construction of new public buildings gained new impetus.From 1954 onward Újszász can boast a public library, in 1955 a nursery and a kindergarten began to operate, then in 1959 the multi-storey school building was completed. It was in 1963 that the new secondary school of the settlement was opened and specialised programmes were launched in it in informatics, and railway and road trasnsport. Today the secondary school has 7 secondary grammar classes, 18 vocational programmes and a 150-person hostel also belongs to it.

In 1970 Újszász was raised to the rank of municipality.

The settlement was gradually improving infrastructurally as well. The stages of thís development are as follows:¨in the 1960s and 70s the local water mains were built, then in the mid-1980s the telephone network and the gas pipelines were begun to be built and this work was completed by the early 1990s.

After the changing of the political system in Hungary Újszász developed very quickly. Local streets and roads were paved (a total of 20,543 metres). By the beginning of 2002 the sewerage was completed and in order to improve the water supply of the settlement two new arthesian wells were drilled.

In 1992 the building of the new sports stadium was completed and it soon became very popular with the town’s inhabitants. The very same year a new police station was established with the aim of granting local people much security and order.

When the Health Centre was established the number of general practitioners’ offices also increased. Today 4 general practitioners and 3 pediatricians work care for the inhabitants. Mothers and infants are also cared for in house the same building. The one-time mansions of the Orczy family house a home for the elderly and they also function as local welfare centres.

Today Újszász has two decisive characteristic features,s, namely, its role as a railway hub and also its agricultural characteristics are of great significance.

On July 1, 1997 Újszász was raised to the rank of town.

The new town was able to keep its nice characteristic features as a small town, typical of the Hungarian Great Plains region, but, at the same time, the town’s leaders are also eager to ensure the future of the settlement by developing the local industries as well.