National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Újfehértó
Click to zoom

Újfehértó

(County Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg)

Shield erect with a pointed base. It bears: argent, on a pale azure a scimitar argent hilted sable, ornamented or, and an ear of wheat or crossed in saltire at the base, at the point of crossing encircled with a triple-verdured coronet or lined gules and adorned with gems gules.

Újfehértó is located on the south of Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg county, on the edge of the Nyírség region. It can be reached on the main road number 4. It is a settlement typical of the Great Plain. It has one of the largest administrative centres. About 14.000 people live here, 1000 on the outer areas.

The region has been inhabited since the Neolithic Age. Celtic and Scythian people used to live here once. Some Roman coins, which are on display on a local exhibition, are the proofs of the Roman Empire. The Hungarian conquerors immediately settled here. Within the present area of Újfehértó there were three villages: Bolt, Micske, Szegegyháza. In the 15th century the place belonged to the Hunyadis. Later on, because of the Turkish invasion and the different military operations, there were fewer and fewer inhabitants in the village. People fleeing from the Turks founded a new settlement to protect the region of the salt lake. This was called Újfehértó.

At the beginning of 1630 Prince Bocskai moved a number of Serb warriors here from Böszörmény. That is why the place was called Rácfehértó (rác meaning Serb). More than 200 years later Ferdinand V made it a markettown. A railway station, a post office, a casino were built, and consequently more and more craftsmen settled down in the town. The most prominent of them were the silk cocoon breeders. After the turn of the century a distillery, an oilmill and other big mills appeared. Despite this speedy development the town was downgraded, and in 1886 it became a large village instead of a big town. And yet the population increased, and in 1930. 13751 people lived here. In the two world wars 1031 people were killed in action. In honour of them their names are carved in a stone.

Mention must be made of the devotional objects kept in the Reformed church, which was built in the 18th century. The museum is also notable, for here there is a collection of tools used by farmers and craftsmen of old times, and some objects, which once belonged to the hussar cavalry, are on display here, too. A very interesting thing is the collection of apple trees belonging to the local research centre. Its music school is famous all over the country. The park in the centre has a 100-year old chestnuttree avenue.