National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Tótkomlós [** ¤]
Click to zoom

Tótkomlós

(The County of Békés)

The town of Tótkomlós is situated in the southwestern corner of the county of Békés.

Its coat-of-arms is a spade shield erect, azure, the base curved to a point. On a field vert in base on the dexter a building or masoned with ashlars, tympaned and gable-roofed, the gateway at a slant to the sinister. On the sinister, running onto a fence or proportioned with five laths in pale joined to a crossbar a giant hop or, naissant to the chief while growing toward the place of the pile. In dexter chief a sun or rayonnant with sixteen rays, in sinister chief an increscent argent.

The dominant blue in the field is the national colour of the Slovaks, who came from the counties of Zólyom, Hont and Nógrád first to (Békés)szentandrás, then on April 24, 1746 eighty families settled down in Tótkomlós. This is the explanation of the prefix 'Tót' in the name of the town. The colour blue also symbolises honesty, the sky covering and protecting the landscape, as well as natural and ethical purity. At the same time it is a reminder of the local medicinal waters with iodine content, excellent in treating many health problems.

The green base symbolises nature in its full flowering, the vegetation, both virgin and cultivated, and it also means that agriculture was for centuries the chief occupation of the inhabitants of Tótkomlós, which prospered due to their hard work and perseverence.

The sun is an ancient astral symbol suggesting the power with which the negative forces of nature and society can be defeated, as well as the continuity of existence. In the coat-of-arms of Tótkomlós this means that the region between the rivers Körös and Maros has been continuously inhabited since the Neolithic age. Based on archeological findings it has been proved that the settlement of Tótkomlós existed as early as the 11th century and already had a church of its own during the period of the Mongol invasion.

The moon refers to cyclicism and continuous revival, as well as to the fact that János Hunyadi, hero of the wars against the Ottoman conquerors and his wife Erzsébet Szilágyi, as well as László Kerecsényi, captain of the castle of Gyula, who also became famous as a champion of the fights against the Turks, were among the landowners, as can be traced in the documents from the 15th century onwards.

The golden stone building is an emblem of the autonomy of the local government, the preceding event of which was that in 1484 King Mathias permitted the inhabitants to settle their lawsuits through their own courts. In 1746 they achieved that the settlement could join the county of Békés instead of Csanád, and in 1792-95, resisting an earlier prohibition, they built their beautiful late Baroque Lutheran church with a galleried tower.

The golden laths of the fence on the one hand emphasise that at least a dozen landowners and candidates wanted to enlarge their properties here in the 16-17th centuries; on the other hand they signify that minor landowners represented the majority until as late as the early 20th century. The fence itself is a memento of 18th century isolation, but its sleazy arrangement shows that the situation has changed since then.

The open space between the building and the fence underlines the fact that Tótkomlós is situated in a hub of railway and road traffic, but it is also a reminder of a historical event when in 1596 the wealthy settlement of 70- 80 houses was swooped upon and destroyed by the Crimean Tartars by order of the Turkish governor of Temesvár. As a result, the village became deserted for over a century.

The dominance of the colour gold symbolises the wealth of the settlement, which was due to the hard work of the local people, although in the Middle Ages and in the period of re-settlement they had to pay heavy taxes to their landlords, to the castle of Gyula, to the Turkish tax-collectors at Temesvár and to their new landowners as well. In 1845 Tótkomlós made an arrangement with the landlord concerning feudal tenures on its own resources, followed by another contract about the consolidation of landstrips in 1858. The settlement was raised to the rank of town on November 1, 1993.

The golden hop reaching toward the sky explains the second element of the town's name, and at the same time it gives an example of the local people's joy of life, ambition and their faith in a better future.

Photos:

01. Heroes' Square

02. Lutheran Church

03. Chapel from Nagykopáncs

04. Slovak Memorial House

05. The interior of a Slovak house

06. Farm Museum with coaches

07. Hotel Komló

08. Rózsa bathhouse

09. Tótkomlós festivies