National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Törökszentmiklós [¤]
Click to zoom

Törökszentmiklós

(The County of Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok)

The coat-of-arms is a tierced shield azure, the base curved to a point. In dexter and sinister chief two unicorns rampant-combatant or. Under a chevronel enhanced or, on three mounds vert a crown or verdured five, surmounted by a dove displayed, argent, holding in the beak an olive branch vert. Across the top a barred helmet, labelled, ensigned by a crown or verdured five. The crown is crested by a dove argent, the copy of the charge borne on the shield. Below the crown leaf-shaped mantling or and gules. The supporters are two unicorns rampant and counter-rampant, argent, langued gules.

The dove is the symbol of constant renewal, piece, peacefulness, reconciliation and the holy trinity. The green mounds represent the town's land, the old landscape, and the local homeland within the boundaries of the country. The unicorn symbolises virginity, clarity, love and healing power. Its appearance as a symbol expresses the effort to achieve moral purity. The colour gold is the symbolic representation of perfectness, eternity and celestial light. The colour red symbolises Christ, his blood and excruciation.

The designer of the town's new seal created in 1993 took most of the motifs from the family coat-of-arms of Count János Almásy II, who had Törökszentmiklós resettled in 1720.

Törökszentmiklós is a small town in the Hungarian Great Plain, with a population of 25,000. Its character is both industrial and agricultural. The settlement's name went through strange changes; when the area was first settled it was called Bala, then as a village with a church they called it Balaszentmiklós, while during the Turkish times it had the name Szentmiklós Vára.

The core of the settlement already existed during the reign of King Stephen I (the Saint) but, as a non-permanent dwelling place, it might already have come into existence when the Magyars were still a nomadic people led by chiefs. Thus it may look back to at least 900 years of history. Due to the Mongol invasion and the devastation by the Cumans, who had been settled in the vicinity of the settlement, no written documents before 1241 have survived. Following this period, until the age of Lajos (Louis) the Great, the Middle-Tisza area was always the fire trap of unrest and insurrection.

In 1552 the medieval Balaszentmiklós was occupied by the Turks. They built a sizeable palisaded castle, whose scope of authority, together with the castle of Szolnok, spread as far as Csap. During the 133 years that followed (until 1685) the settlement fell victim to the raids of the Turks and the Tartars several times. Its complete devastation and depopulation took place by the Serbs, who fought against Rákóczi.

Resettlement began in 1720 by Count János Almásy II. It was at this time that the settlement, ranked as a market town, got its present name Törökszentmiklós.

The year 1848 is a significant date in the life of the town, since it got rid of bondages related to socage. During the war of independence, 417 citizens volunteered to join the national guard. On 5 March 1849 the town served as the seat of the headquarters of the war of independence. Lajos Kossuth himself stayed here, and it was also here that the Austrian emperor's proclamation arrived, in which Hungary's existence as a state was abolished.

During the absolutism following the fall of the war of independence the settlement kept its status as a town. In addition, in 1851 it became the centre of an administrative district. The possibility of rapid development was offered by the construction of roads and the railway, by electrification, as well as by the regulation of the Tisza River.

Agriculture, flour-milling and agricultural machine industry witnessed remarkable development, and schools, as well as public buildings were built.

In 1872 the market town was reassigned to the rank of village.

World War I caused severe losses in human life; the town mourned more than 900 victims.

In the 1930s infrastructure started to develop considerably; however, this process came to a halt with the outbreak of World War II. In 1944, during the military operations, the settlement changed hands several times.

Following the land reform of 1945, a group of smallholders considerable both in size and potential formed, but by the beginning of the 1960s they had fallen victim to the nationalization of privately owned lands.

In 1952 the settlement regained its status as a town.

The location of industry resulted in a rapid development, which gradually changed the town's character into that of an industrial settlement.

The major industrial units of the present day are as follows: Alföldi Gabona Rt. (Alföld Cereals Ltd.), ConAvis Ltd. Törökszentmiklósi Baromfifeldolgozó Gyára (a poultry processing farm), CLAAS Hungária plc, Mezőgép Ltd. Öntödei Gyára (smelting works), HM Radar Híradástechnikai Ltd. (telecommunications unit belonging to the Ministry of Defence), Vebotronik plc, Elektrolux CR plc Kompresszor és Kondenzátor Gyára (a supercharger and condenser factory), Emelőgép plc (plant manufacturing lifting machines), and Referencia plc.

Agricultural production, which was of major importance in the past, is done by Törökszentmiklósi Mezőgazdasági Ltd. (agricultural limited company), Béke Mezőgazdasági Szövetkezet (a co-operative farm), as well as by various agricultural companies and private smallholders.

As regards trade and services, the town's problem-free supply is provided by Törökszentmiklós és Vidéke ÁFÉSZ, Ideál-Miklós plc, Élker plc, as well as by nearly 360 private entrepreneurs.

As regards education, primary-level education is provided by three schools run by the self-government, and by a school belonging to the Calvinist church.

Secondary education is provided by Miklós Bercsényi Gimnázium (secondary grammar school), Elemér Székács Mezőgazdasági és Élelmiszeripari Szakközépiskola (vocational school specializing in agriculture and food processing), as well as by János Lábassy Szakképző Iskola (skilled worker training school).

In the town's cultural life the bands and orchestras of Zoltán Kodály Zeneiskola (music school), Miklós Néptáncegyüttes (folk dance ensemble), and the folk music choir of Béke Mezőgazdasági Szövetkezet (agricultural co-operative farm) play a considerable role. The town's intellectual treasures and artefacts can be found in the local library of 100,000 volumes, and in the collection of evidence relating to local history. In addition, the cultural centre is one of the venues where various cultural events and activities take place.

The town's geographical location and conditions are favourable. The Tisza River, which flows across the outskirts, displays its original beauty, only little affected by human activity, and offers facilities for bathing at several places during the summertime. The town's swimming pool, the water of which is medicinal with a temperature of 60 degrees centigrade, has a daily capacity of 2,000 visitors. Next to it, the three-star camp site can accommodate 200 units at a time. Riding in the countryside and equestrian sports are made possible by the riding school of the Almásy mansion at Szenttamás, while the typical countryside of the Great Plain provides opportunities for hunters and anglers as well.

E-mail: torokph@externet.hu