National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Tolcsva [¤]
Click to zoom

Tolcsva

(Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County)

Triangular shield erect and argent. In field argent at fess point a crown is borne and the demi-figure of the Virgin Mary is issuing from it, habited azure. In her dexter hand she is holding the Holy Child, her head is covered with a shawl argent, topped by a three-pointed verdured crown or. In her sinister hand she is holding a lily plant with three lilies argent, stalked vert. The Holy Child in its dexter hand is holding a sceptre or adorned with a Latin cross.

From behind the crown borne encouped wine trailers are issuing toward the dexter and the sinister sides of the shield. On one of the trailers on the dexter side a bunch of grapes or, on one of the trailers on the sinister side a bigger bunch and a smaller demi-bunch of grapes, both or, as well as some tendrils and lily-shaped leaves are borne.

In base a wine stock is borne encouped and stretching to the dexter and to the sinister in S and Z shaped form. To the dexter and to the sinister from it a leaved trailer with a bunch of grapes is borne. Between the double wine stocks a Latin cross is borne which is issuing from a heart gules.

The history of the Village of Tolcsva can be decribed as follows:

The origin of the settlement’s name can be explained in two ways. According to the most recent explanation the first written mention of the name Tholchwa goes back to 1255. The settlement was named after the Tolcsva brook because its first houses were built on the bank of it.

As it is attested by archeological finds the area of Tolcsva and its environs were inhabited as early as the ancient Stone Age. Part of the settlement, which is called Várhegy, refers to the fact that in the period of King Béla IV there used to stand a castle on this hill. At the end of the 19th century some of its remains were still there to be seen. Valuable artefacts have been unearthed by archeologists in the neighbourhood, many of which are exhibited in the National Museum in Budapest and in the Otto Herman Museum in Miskolc.

The changing of Tolcsva’s owners can clearly be followed in various documents from the period of King Sigismund. The members of famous nobiliary families who had possessions at Tolcsva included János Tolcsva and his sons (1366), István Debrői (1398), László Keéri (1404), Pál Toronyi (1410), the Csicseri family (1414-1445), later, from 1446 onward the Tolchvai and Upori families, from 1511 onward the Bánffi, Eödönffi, Dobó, Gerendi, Czékei, Mezőssy, Desewffy and numerous other families. In 1602 the village was obtained by the Lónyays and in 1630 by the Rákóczis. In 1486 Nagytolcsva was raised to the rank of market town. In the second half of the 18th century Tolcsva was obtained by the Counts Szirmay and then by the Frigyes Waldbott baronial family. The Waldbott mansion is still to be seen in the village and it houses the local primary school. After 1711 Greek families began to move in and as members of the Tokaj Compania trade group they played an important role in the wine and goods trade of the Hegyalja region. According to the figures of the 1725 and 1728 census Jewish families also settled down at Tolcsva and later they also played a signidficant role in wine trade.

At the end of the 18th century Tolcsva was included in the national postal network and the village had a medicinal bath as well. According to census figures of 1828 there was a total of 501 houses at Tolcsva. The events of the 1848 revolution in Budapest were reported to the inhabitants of Tolcsva by the village’s Jewish traders, who had stayed in the capital in that period. In accordance with a decree by Mayor Ödön Szirmay in September 1848 the wine tax, which was the heaviest feudal burden for the inhabitants of the village, was abolished. The men of Tolcsva took an active part in the battles of the War of Independence of 1848/49.

In the historical period from 1850 to 1950 several changes occurred in Tolcsva’s social, economic and cultural life. In 1856 the settlement was devastated by a great fire, in the course of which several public buildings as well as 90 homes burnt to ashes. Local craftsmen in this period were still united in guilds. The agreement with Austria in 1867 laid the foundations for a modern system of administration, up-to-date financial, educational and cultural institutions. In 1872 by constructing the Sátoraljaújhely-Legenye-Mihályi railway line Tolcsva joined the national and international railway network. The administrative law of 1886 downgraded Tolcsva to the rank of village.

The phyloxera epidemic reached Tolcsva in 1886 and in the entire Hegyalja region the vine-lands of Tolcsva were devastated by it the most. Wine stocks were replanted by 1895 and the pre-phyloxera situation was restored. In addition to producing wine the major vineyardists also operated wine bottling establishments and they also acquired trading rights. They often had their own wine labels on the bottles.From the second half of the 19th century many wine growing associations and joint venutres came into existence in the Hegyalja region and the vineyardists of Tolcsva readily joined these groups.

In 1913 Tolcsva was devastated by a major flood and it destroyed about 160 houses. After the natural disasters world wars followed and many inhabitants paid with their own lives. In the war years the inhabitants of Tolcsva fought in the battle fields and they also worked in the war industry. The local governemnt of Tolcsva had a memorial erected to commemorate those inhabitants who sacrificed their lives in the first world war. The devastations of the war, the unfavourable influence of the Soviet Republic of 1919 and the devastating effects of the Trianon Peace Treaty had a disadvantageous influence on village life after 1920. The local traders lost their former markets and their own fairs were not frequented by the customers of the nearby annexed territories.

When the second world war broke out in 1939 many Polish refugees settled down at Tolcsva. Men of military age were forced to join the army in this period and they were sent to the front lines of the war. The civilian population also worked in war-related industries. On the memorial of the second world war 47 names were inscribed; the victims were either soldiers or civilians who died in the war.

Tolcsva today can boast a lot of enchantingly beautiful architectural monuments. The most special of these are the mansions of the famous vineyardists of the Hegyalja region.

The urbanisation of Tolcsva began as early as the 14th century when the church of the settlement was built. Later a school was established and several nobiliary mansions were also constructed in the village. These buildings were the typical landmarks of the market town of Tolcsva in the early 19th century and architecturally they made Tolcsva the gem of the entire Hegyalja region. Tourists in more recent times are attracted to Tolcsva by its numerous architectural monuments, the world famous wines of the Hegyalja region and the picturesque, almost untouched beauty of Tolcsva’s environs. The settlement also offers a variety of cultural programs to its visitors. Wine-tasting programs in the local cellars and the sampling of special local dishes are unforgettable experiences for all visitors.

In addition to the wine making ventures the companies, which specialise in wine growing, processing and trading also develop dynamically at Tolcsva. A growing number of tourism-related industries and services have also sprung up lately in the village. Due to these changes these days there is an increasing number of visitors who find Tolcsva an extraordinarily beautiful and attractive place and due to the continuously improving living conditions the inhabitants themselves can also live a quality life in their native village.