National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Tiszavasvári [** ¤]
Click to zoom

Tiszavasvári

(County Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg)

The town of Tiszavasvári is located on the left bank of the Tisza River, in the eastern part of the county Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg.

The coat-of-arms is a symmetrical shield erect vert, couped en pointe, pierced flanche-wise, the base curved to a point, at fess point party per fess by two bars wavy argent. Above the bars a poppy-head alaisé or with a stylised crown. In the lower field, issuing from the dexter a dexter arm couped, habited gules, the hand holding a scimitar argent. The sleeve slit at the shoulder is trimmed by a pair of soutaches or ending in the shape of a trefoil at both ends.

The colour green of the shield refers to the town's position in the flood area of the Tisza and to the fact that the cultivation of land, both privately and in a co-operative form, has a significant role.

The two silver bands at the fess point symbolise the Eastern and Western Grand Canal with the settlement's busy lido, thermal bath and recreational village of about 700 resort houses.

The plain green field between the bands is a reminder of Büdszentkirály, a settlement which was mentioned in 1427, but later disappeared.

The stylised crown of the poppy-head in the upper green field represents the settlement's rank, autonomy and local authority.

The golden poppy-head itself calls attention to János Kabay, a pharmacologist born at Tiszabüd, whose activity greatly contributed to the foundation of the local pharmaceutical factory called Alkaloida in the 1920s. Since then, more than fifty products of the factory have gained worldwide reputation. The name of Büd, an earlier component of today's town, refers to a possession during the Magyar conquest of Hungary (the ownership of the Bő clan).

During the Mongol invasion it was destroyed and remained a puszta (uninhabited field) for a century. At the end of the 13th century the village got into the possession of the Gut-Keled clan, and in 1324 its monastery got mentioned. Later it was owned by the Bárhori and Zokoly families, but during the 15-year-war it got depopulated again. It was only at the end of the 18th century that resettlement took place with Greek Catholic people arriving from the Subcarpathian region.

The arm holding the drawn scimitar in the lower field symbolises the third component of today's settlement, the village of Szentmihály (St Michael), founded in 1440 by András Báthori. St Michael is the archangel of death, the leader of warfare against the evil. The clothing on the arm is reminiscent of the attire worn by István Bocskai's Haiduk warriors, expressing the fact that Zsigmond Lónyai settled here Haiduk soldiers (free and bound by contract alike), and in 1634 he exempted them from the jurisdiction of the county court. In 1655 their privileges were confirmed by István Csáky, captain-general of Upper Hungary. In addition, this motif is the symbol of the local people's fights for freedom under the leadership of Ferenc Rákóczi and under the banners of the war of independence of 1848-9, as well as of their sacrifices for their country in the two world wars.

The soutaches ending in trefoils show that religious life in the town is taken care of by three churches: the Reformed, the Roman Catholic and the Greek Catholic denominations.

The one-time Büdszentkirály later merged into Szentmihály.

The settlements Büd and Szentmihály were united in 1941 by the name of Büdszentmihály, while the present name was acquired in 1950 after Pál Vasvári (Fehér), a hero of the 1848-9 war of independence, who was born at Tiszahid. The denominator is evoked by the shape of the shield, which bears resemblance to Kossuth's coat-of-arms.

It is to be noted that the seal of the village Büd is known from the 18th century. It bears a ploughshare and a coulter reversed, as well as an ear of wheat and an ear of rye, both or (golden), in a field gules (red). The seal of Szentmihály is known from the first half of the 19th century. It bears a shield emblazoned with a lion rampant. Above the shield there is a barred helmet borne affronté. The helmet is crested with a crown( issuing from it a demi Haiduk warrior is to be seen, raising in the dexter (right) hand a scimitar and resting the sinister (left) hand on his hip.

The nearly 15.000 populated town is situated at the meeting point of Nyírség and Hajdúság, 25 Km's from Nyíregyháza. the characteristic look of the settlement is shaped by many trends of architectural styles.The history of the Presbyterian church, forified by battlements with key-shaped crenelles, goes back to the Middle Ages. An evocative promenade goes along the walls of the church leading to the arcaded, porticoed, classicist style building of the Pál Vasvári Museum with exhibitions on the region's folk art and industry, and findings dating from the time of the Magyar conquest. The Roman Catholic church wears neo-Gothic stylistical marks, while the Saint-Nicholas church's iconostas is a good example of Baroque ornamentation. The town takes pride in having two works of the XIX.th century's classicist mansion architecture. The Dessewffy Mansion is functioning as a student hostel, but the renovated frontal and the garden gives an impressive view. The other spectacular building of Tiszavasvári is the Dogály House with it's wrought-iron gate. Pál Vasvári's statue, the son of Our town, was raised at the year of 2000. The town pool's , 650C medicinal water, well up from the depth of 1175 meters, is good for patients suffering from rheumatics, gynaecological or locomotor diseases. To build a modern Bath Center, that meets the latest demands, is one of the short range-plan of the town. Three swimming pools, kneading massage, camping, boating lake, many sport facilities, and a youth camp welcomes Our visitors. The region's biggest lake so called Fehér-szik has peculiar flora and fauna.

Pictures:

01. The mansion, enlarged around 1830 by Emil Desewffy, president of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences

02. Dogály mansion, or as it is called after another owner, the Kornis mansion

03. The pond by the Youth camp offers possibilities for pedal boating and canoeing.

04. In the Middle Ages in the place of the present -day Calvinist church another church was standing in honour of St. Michael

05. The Calvinist Church at Sőrés esplanade.

06. A chapel, erected by Ms. Eleonóra Desewffy-Sztáray used to stand here where the Roman Catholic church can be found today.

07. The Sőrés esplanade got its name from the clergyman János Sőrés, who had written the most significant book on the settlement's history.

08. The Sports Centre is the venue of a number of important international competitions.

09. In addition to the circular-shaped thermal baths, a childrens' pool, a swimming pool and beach football and volleyball grounds await those who seek recreation.

10. A statue in honour of Pál Vasvári, a renowned son of our town. The statue was erected in the vicinity of his baptismal church.