National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Tiszalök
Click to zoom

Tiszalök

(The County of Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg)

It is a vertical oval shaped disk-shield with coat of arms. It is divided into two parts (one red and one blue) in the middle of the shield with a dividing line.

Growing from this line three natural poplar trees stand in the upper red field.

In the lower blue field starting from the dividing line there are two wavy white (silver) stripes and three (two, one) yellow (gold) fish swim towards the right under these stripes.

Geography:

This town is located in the "Nyíri-Mezőség" area, in the East side of Nyíregyháza (about 30 kms from it), at the bank of the river Tisza. It can be reached by a minor road from the main road: number 36.

The climate of Tiszalök is moderately hot. The forests around this town mainly consist of poplar trees, but several acacia groves can be found here.

The building of the first water barrage (water power station in 1954) played a very important role in the life of this settlement. This water barrage can be found 5 kms from Tiszalök, it was built in the 2,5 km - wide Rázompuszta bend, because it was the most appropriate part of the river for starting the Eastern Irrigation Canal from here, which provides the Trans-Tiszanian Region with irrigation and Deberecen with drinking water.

History:

The name of the town appears in literary works in 1265. The name of this early settlement comes from the Hungarian personal name, Lőrinc, it is a pet-name form of it.

Human beings first appeared in this territory in the glacial age, which is proved with the reamains of glacial animals, which were found during the building of the rower station and with the remain of the flint-flake knife. Archaeologists excavated the first finds from the Arpadian age here.

In 1316 Egyed from the Balog-Semjén clan bought the village. During the 14. century the Balog-Semjén clan owned the territory and after that the landed property belonged to the Kállay and Biri families. The village had a right to organise markets and became a market-town at the beginning of the 18. century.

High floods damaged the territory in 855, in 1876 and in 1888.

In 1893 Tiszalök lost its market-town status but became the district centre and it existed as a district centre till 1972.

The village was established as a town 1 January 1992.

Architectural, cultural remains:

According to the main characteristic features the town is radial and stacked and it has two downtowns. From the present centre of the town streets go radially.

The settlement had a church in 1316 (as it occures in early literary works).

In 1493 Lök owned a stone-church dedicated to Szt Kilián.

In the 16. century there was a Reformation of the Church and the local church became Calvinist church. But during the World War II. the building of the church was blown up and it was rebuilt in 1967.

The vicarage and the chapel were built by Kállay Mihály in 1786 as a predecessor of the Roman Catholic church. The chapel was rebuilt on the bases of the old chapel in 1876. The present chapel with a vicarage was built after the World War II. he new Roman Catholic church and vicarage were built in 1987.

The former mansion of the Vay family (found at 35 Ady street) belongs to the buildings of Teleki Blanka Secondary School. The mansion built in the 1830s has a neoclassical style but the mansion built in the 1870s is existing as a divelling house now.

The Tiszalök Town Antonomy

67 Kossuth Lajos Street Tiszalök 4450

Telephone: 42/278-122

Fax: 42/278-463

Mayor: Drótos Vince

Deputy mayor: Blaner András

Town-clerk: Kertész Gáborné

Deputy town-clerk: Vira Györgyné

The Town Representatives

1. Balogh Andrásné

2. Bereczkei Sándor

3. Berei Józsefné - the chairwoman of the Town-Planning Development and the Environmental Protection Committee

4. Cziczer János

5. Cserés Sándorné

6. Fercsákné Tomán Ildikó - the charwoman of the Social and Health Service Committee

7. Hegedűs Kálmán - the chairman of the Procedural Committee

8. Dr. Kerekes Béla

9. Király Bertalan - the chairman of the Educational and Youth Organization Committee

10. Kiss Gyula

11. Dr. Krámor Katalin

12. Szepesi Józsefné - the chairwoman of the Financial Committee

13. Zrinszki István - the chairman of the Cultural and Sports Committee

Inhabitants: 6166

Inner town area: 165 ha

The outer areas: 5665 ha

E-mail: ter96@szabinet.hu