National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Tiszafüred [¤]
Click to zoom

Tiszafüred

(Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok County)

Shield erect and pointed, adorned with three-pronged harpoons, all or. Shield is contoured or. In field vert a four-pronged harpoon is borne, argent.

The town’s coat-of.-arms also has a more decorative version. This one features a loop on the top of the shield with two olive branches surrounding the well-known harpoon motif. The olive branches are the symbols of peace. Shield is enframed by water plants and two avocets.

The harpoon motif refers to the traditional way of fishing and it symbolises the close link between the river and the town. It also reminds us of the local fishing tradition and also of the several-century-long struggle of the inhabitants of Tiszafüred for survival.The tincture argent (silver) is a reference to the river.

The four prongs of the harpoon symbolise those four occasions, when the settlement got depopulated and then repopulated throughout its history. Tiszafüred is also located at the meeting point of the boundaries of four counties and administratively the settlement consists of four parts, including Kócsújfalu, Tiszafüred, Tiszaörvény and Tiszaszőlős.

The charges of Tiszafüred’s coat-of-arms, the repetitive motif of the harpoon also signifies the tool-making activity and creativity of the settlement’s inhabitants.

The proportions and the elongated shape of Tiszafüred’s coat-of-arms recall an archeological find, a tool from the period of the Hungarian conquest, unearthed in the vicinity of the settlement. Thus it is a reminder of the settlement’s ancient history. The tincture vert (green) of the shield is a symbol of nature as well as of agriculture.

Tiszafüred is located in the northernmost corner of Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok County, in the centre of the area called Közép-Tisza Region. Tiszafüred lies on the shore of the Tisza Lake and it is bordering on the Tiszafüred-Kunhegyes Plain, the Hortobágy, Heves and the Borsod flood zone. In addition, Tiszafüred is a significant river crossing point on the Tisza river.

Today’s Tiszafüred came into being by uniting the three formerly independent settlements of Tiszafüred, Tiszaörvény and Kócsújfalu. It was in 1984 that Tiszafüred was once again raised to the rank of town.

As it is attested by archeological finds unearthe in the outer fields of Tiszafüred, prehistoric people permanently settled down in the area very early. The names Örvény and Füred got first mentioned in old documents in 1261 and 1273.

In the middle of the 16th century, as the Turkish conquerors were advancing, Tiszafüred was also under their rule. Due to constant struggles and armed conflicts the settlement became depopulated on several occasions in this period. It was in the years 1718-1710 that Tiszafüred got finally repopulated and it began to grow. In 1744-46 Tiszafüred was granted the right to hold fairs and it was also raised to the rank of town.

The first census of 1786 registered 3499 inhabitants at Füred and 282 at Örvényes. In the second half of the 18th century Greek and Jewish merchants settled down at Füred and furriers’, bootmakers’, tailors’ and saddlers’ guilds were established in the town. Around 1848 the number of inhabitants was 4777 at Füred and 431 at Örvényes.

In the Reform Era a wooden bridge was constructed on the Tisza river, thus the importance of the settlement as a river crossing point began to grow. This role became evident in the period of the 1848-49 revolution and war of independence, since Tiszafüred was the starting place of the war’s famous spring campaigne.

As a result of the capitalist development of the second half of the 19th century Tiszafüred got modernised and urbanised. Local crafts gave way to small-scale industrial activities and Tiszafüred in this period was characterised by the dominance of smaller industry. The bourgeois development was also enhanced by the railway constructions of the late 19th century. In 1890 loop lines were built in Tiszafüred. (Debrecen-Füzesabony, Tiszafüred-Karcag).

Since Tiszafüred is located on the shores of the Tisza Lake, nowadays it has become an important centre of tourism in the region and every year the town is frequented by a growing number of visitors and holidaymakers.