National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Tépe [¤]
Click to zoom

Tépe

(Hajdú-Bihar County)

On the basis of the seal of 1627 the settlement’s coat of arms can be described as follows:

On the sinister side of the shield a vambraced arm is borne, holding a sword with a Turk’s head on it. On the dexter side a swallow-tailed military banner. It is interesting to note that the military banner is a typical charge in the coats of arms of several Haiduk settlements including Szoboszló and Dorog. Above the shield a five-pointed crown or is borne with the function of replacing the crest.

The first written mention of the settlement’s name goes back to the early 13th century (1222). The village had a church of its own as early as that; in the 16th century the provost of Nagyvárad became the owner of the village. It was in 1613 that Gábor Báthory approved and confirmed the privilege of the local Haiduks to purchase land property in the area, although the Haiduks were likely to have lived there prior to this date as well. According to contemporary documents Péter Kovács and the officers of his Haiduk troops were to pay a sum of 800 forints and thus they became owners of Tépe. The year 1613 did not mean the date of the foundation of Tépe, it only signalled the year when it was sold and purchased. Péter Kovács in that period lived in Hosszúpályi and earlier in Hadház. The official procedure of handing Tépe over to the Haiduks took place on May 20, 1617 by a decree of Transylvanian Prince, Gábor Bethlen. From this year onward the inauguration of Haiduk owners remained the duty of the chapter of Várad. Due to the fact that the official papers of the period actually were only documents of ownership (and not of title) and they did not display any nobiliary coat of arms. In spite of this fact the Haiduks of Tépe, similar to other Haiduk settlements, began to use a coat of arms of their own, as it is attested by their seal of 1627.

The Haiduk privileges of Tépe were abolished when Várad was captured by the Turks in 1660. After the liberation from the Turkish rule the Austrian Emperor was unwilling to acknowledge and confirm the settlement’s former rights and thus Tépe once again went into the ownership of the provost of Nagyvárad. The inhabitants were subdued as villeins but they did not forget about their former rights and the seal with the symbols of former Haiduk privileges was in use in this period as well.

The National Committeee for the registration of the Hungarian settlements defined Tépe’s coat of arms in 1911 as follows:

Shield erect and azure in which the charges of the settlement’s seal of 1627 are borne. The only change was that the swallow-tailed military banner in the new version bore the tinctures of the Hungarian national flag. The same procedure was typical of the coats of arms of other Haiduk settlements, including the emblem of Hajdúdorog, in which the swallow-tailed banner was replaced by the Hungarian national flag. Instead of the traditional crown a crowned helm was used in Tépe’s coat of arms on the top of the shield. Mantling: on the dexter side azure and argent, on the sinister side gules and argent.