National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Téglás [¤]
Click to zoom

Téglás

(County Hajdú-Bihar)

It was in 1706 that the market town of Téglás was granted a seal and a coat-of-arms, the description of which is the following: Shield erect vert with a pointed base. In the dexter chief a six-pointed star or. The star, an ancient astrological emblem, may refer to the dwellers' pure Calvinist religion and their vigilance. It also bears reference to the representation of the Sun in historical Transylvania's coat-of-arms. Finally, it may refer to the fact that Téglás is a very old settlement, which came into existence in the Árpádian age. The principal charge is a man's arm embowed, vambraced or, holding a drawn handshielded scimitar argent.

The first written mention of the settlement goes back to 1332. The meaning of the name is 'a brick house', a 'house covered with tiles'. The settlement was founded in the Árpádian age, then in 1664 it was destroyed by Turkish subsidiary troops.The settlement's recent layout was being shaped in the early 1800s and the modernisation of the settlement was mainly due to the work of Pál Bek, the landowner of that period. The area of the settlement today is 3835 hectares and the number of inhabitants is 6080.

Agriculture has been the main source of living for the inhabitants for many centuries. On the sandy, semi-hard ground of the fields nearby the chief crops included grain, grapes, and tobacco. At the end of the 18th century animal husbandry prospered, since the settlement was surrounded by extensive woodlands and good pastures. 20 serf families paid tithes in 1715, while in 1773 there were 58 serfs in the village who were free to move in addition to the 40 who had come here from other places to lease lands at Téglás. 3,000 acres of land were bestowed on Count Pál Bek by the Treasury and this area remained in his and his inheritors' possession until 1944.

The lands were in collective property from 1949 to 1989. The Hajdúsági Iparművek, an industrial plant of nationwide importance was established at Téglás in 1952.