In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
The arms of the County-Rank City Szombathely show an escutcheon standing on its tip, including a gabled silver tower in a blue field, having a gate with a cross above it. The wings of the gate are open, on both sides of which - at the height of the wings - lower gabled ramparts stretch, while a roofed tower with five windows and a knob decoration stands above the gate, with balcony-like gabled units on both sides. Finally, a silver crescent can be seen right to the tower, and a six-pointed golden star left to it.
History of Szombathely
Szombathely, the seat of Vas County, is one of the most ancient cities in Hungary and the birthplace of Saint Martin.
The predecessor of the today’s city was founded by Emperor Claudius under the name of Colonia Claudia Savaria about 50 A.D., which soon started to flourish and became the civic centre of the province Pannonia.
Around 860 the city was under the supremacy of the Archbishop of Salzburg, and then it became the property of the Episcopacy of Győr in the 11th century.
Due to the Turkish attacks the Diet of Bratislava settled the chapter and archive of Vasvár to Szombathely in 1578, which consequently became a county seat. The city archives were fled to Németújvár from the threatening dangers during the Bocskai uprising, however, all of the documents were destroyed by fire. During the war of independence of Rákóczi the city was owned by the Kuruc (soldiers in the insurrectionist armies fighting against Hapsburg oppression) and Labanc (pro-Austrian soldiers) by turns. Troubles were doubled by the plague epidemic in 1711 and by the fire in 1716, during which the fortress and the city hall were demolished.
The year of 1777, when Queen Maria Theresa founded the Episcopacy of Szombathely, and appointed Bishop János Szily the head of it, was of great significance. The famous group of Baroque buildings on Templom-tér (Church Square), still one of the city's prides, was built owing to him.
Nature was not merciful to the city as it was struck by the floods in 1813, then by fire in 1817.
Szombathely became a modern city at the turn of the century when Gyula Éhen was the mayor.
During the bombardment in World War II on 4th March 1945 a significant part of the city centre was ruined, the Cathedral and the city hall were destroyed, however, the city was rebuilt with the help of the inhabitants.
Preserving its traditions, the county seat has been rapidly and dynamically growing, and its booming economy serves as a basis for further development.
Szombathely welcomes its visitors with colourful and prominent programmes throughout the year, the city is proud of its numerous international and national events (Spring Festival, Savaria International Dance Contest, Bartók Festival, Savaria Historical Carnival, Lamantin Jazz Festival and the Saint Martin Week).