National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Szentgotthárd [¤]
Click to zoom

Szentgotthárd

(County Vas)

Szentgotthárd's coat-of-arms is a spade shield erect, the base curved to a point. It bears: gules, an eagle displayed argent, and for the crest a coronet of rank verdured or. Mantling: verdured or and azure, issuing from beneath the coronet.

History

Szentgotthárd is the most dynamically developing settlement in the county Vas. It is the centre of the Vend region, of a part of the Rába valley boasting great cultural history, as well as of the Őrség region, rich in natural assets. Apart from the Hungarians, there is also a considerable Slovenian and German-speaking population.

The settlement was founded by King Béla III in 1183. The Cistercians, an order originating in France, played a decisive role in Szentgotthárd's development. The settlement acquired nationwide fame during the fights against the Turks. The battle of Szentgotthárd in 1664 had a profound influence on the whole country's life; moreover, it had an impact on European politics as well.

Following the Compromise of 1867, Szentgotthárd entered the most dynamic period of its development, which lasted until the first world war.

Around the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, a number of factories were established. The first of them, Magyar Királyi Dohánygyár (Hungarian Royal Tobacco Factory), was built in 1894. The Első Magyar Óragyár Rt (First Hungarian Watch Factory Ltd.) was founded by Fülöp Kohl in 1896, mainly with Swiss capital outlay.

The early electrification of the settlement was one of the most decisive factors of attracting factories. It took place in 1896, immediately following Szombathely in the county. The next factory to be opened was the Selyemszövőgyár (silk factory) founded in 1899 by the Bujatti brothers with Italian capital outlay. This major, turn-of-the-century industrial development was completed by Baron József Wieser, a factory owner from Mondsee, who established his Kaszagyár (scythe factory) in 1902.

Szentgotthárd was raised to the rank of town in 1983, on the 800th anniversary of the foundation of the Cistercian monastery. Following the political changes in 1989, the conditions of urban development radically changed here as well. This development coincided with the establishment of Opel Hungary Ltd, the most important investment at Szentgotthárd.

Within the framework of the Phare-CBC project, in 1995 the local authority submitted a tender aimed at establishing the infrastructure of a transboundary industrial park and the supplying of human resources. As a result of the successful tender, the Szentgotthárd-Heiligenkreuz Industrial Park was opened in 1997.

The former silk factory is now owned by the Radici company of Italy. Through investments, they have established an up-to-date plant. The Swiss-based Sariana Ltd, one of the important companies in the production of lingerie, has had a unit in the town since 1989. Vossen built a new factory at Szentgotthárd in 1983, while the Első Magyar Kasza és Sarlógyár (First Hungarian Scythe and Sickle Factory) was privatised in 1996.

Services have also undergone considerable development in recent times. Commercial, catering and dental services have greatly improved both in quantity and in quality standards.

The economic changes have partly imposed, partly made possible the improvement of public education, health care and welfare systems.

An up-to-date day care centre is available for the youngest citizens. Pre-school education is carried out in one central kindergarten and in two subsidiary units. Compulsory education is provided by two primary schools. In recent years, vocational training and foreign language teaching have gained great significance. There is a music school available for those children who want to specialise in music.

The Béla III Vocational School was renewed in 1992. Apart from the traditional ways of training skilled workers, a new system of vocational training is gaining importance.

From the early 1990s, the Mihály Vörösmarty Secondary Grammar School has also undergone considerable improvement. An eight-year educational program was launched, and the building itself was renovated in 1993. Four years later, it was enlarged with a new wing of modern classrooms.

Szentgotthárd is the starting point for tourists whose destination is the Őrség and the Vend region. The beautiful surroundings, the clean air and water of Hársas-tó (lake) at nearby Máriaújfalu offer good opportunities for outings, angling and swimming alike. Visitors to Szentgotthárd can take delight in seeing one of the most beautiful Baroque churches in the country, to be found on Széll Kálmán tér (square). The excellent acoustics of the church make it an ideal venue for organ concerts.

Next to the church there is the building of the one-time monastery, which today houses the mayor's office. The Ágoston Pável Museum awaits visitors with an exhibition of local history. Accommodation is available in a motel and a number of bed; breakfast places. In every season, guests are welcome with cosy restaurants and good food.