National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Szendrő
Click to zoom

Szendrő

(The County of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén)

General information about Szendrő town:

Geographical introduction:

The town of Szendrő lies in the valley of Bódva stream, in the Cserehát hills, north of Edelény. Highroad 27. goes through the town. Szendrő's climate is mildly cool and dry. The yearly precipitation is about 560 mm, the average temperature is 8.8 degrees Celsius. The yearly number of sunny hours is 1850. The typical wind direction is northeasterly.

History:

The area of Szendrő is rich in ancient archeological finds, discovered during several excavations. The majority of these finds, which date back as far as the Stone Age, Bronze Age, as well as the Iron Age, are currently exhibited in the Herman Otto museum in Miskolc. The settlement was first mentioned as Zendrewe in a written document in 1317. During the Hungarian conquest it belonged to the Bors clan, later it was owned by the Bebek family for almost two centuries. Toward the end of the 15th century the village had two fortresses and it became a cultural, economical and military center of the area. In the 1500s the originally Roman Catholic residents were converted to the Calvinist religion. Their church was built in 1564 and their school was inaugurated by 1600. The village had no Catholic priest for almost half a century. In 1633 the St. Franciscan order founded its monastery and their effort is well indicated by the fact that the dominant religion became Roman Catholic again by 1740.

Although Szendrő and its fortress were attacked many times by the Turks the settlement remained unoccupied. During the 17th and 18th century the fortress changed owners several times and the village was burnt down by the Austrians after 1670. The Rákóczi war of independence did not leave the population of the settlement untouched. Finally the fortress was taken by Rákóczi's army and destroyed entirely in 1707. After 1690 the village belonged to the Csáky family who built its castle in 1694. As the main focus of agriculture was on grapes and fruits, animal husbandry was less significant. From 1640 industry started to flourish in the town and in 1773 ironworks and two water-mills were operated. But misfortune did not miss the town either: during the 1700s the village was ravaged by fire, floods and other natural disasters. According to a written document Szendrő had 305 village houses and 2135 residents in the middle of the 19th century. The portion of land covered by forests, plough-lands and grazing grounds was significant. he railway line built in 1896 gave new impetus to the development of the settlement.

In the early 20th century the main source of income was still agriculture but trade and industry was also significant. In 1930 the mother tongue of the population was Hungarina and the dominant religion was Roman Catholic. After 1945 several light industrial factories began their production in the area.

In 1950 Szendrő became a district seat with its own village council. On 1 August 1996 it was raised again to city status.