National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Municipality of Szegvár
Click to zoom

Szegvár

(The County of Csongrád)

The area of Szegvár, situated by the river Tisza, at the mouth of the rivulets Korógy and Kurca, has been inhabited since the most ancient times.

Heater erect, quartered, its base curved to a point. In the dexter chief gules a statuette of the God with a Sickle from Szegvár-Tűzköves or, facing to the sinister. In the sinister chief vert an ear of corn or, between a ploughshare and a coulter, both argent and in pale, pointed toward the top and edged toward each other. Dexter base wavy azure and argent; sinister base gules, in field vert a building (castle) is borne, or. Shield is gorged with a nine-pointed open crown (5 leaves and 4 pearls), verdured or, adorned with rubies and sapphires.

The existence of the settlement has been proven by several famous personalities from the very beginnings. One of these is the God with a Sickle from Szegvár, the first sacred statuette known by name, which represents the Neolithic culture of the Carpathian basin. It features Kronos with the sickle on his shoulder, with which he mutilated his own father by cutting off his genitalia, thus depriving him of power. The place evokes King János Szapolyai, who in 1528 marched here with his troops and one of his followers, Miklós Telegdi was wounded by the enemy shooting from Dóczi Castle so severely in the leg that he limped for the rest of his life. It is also a reminder of the fact that Szegvár was owned by the Count Károlyi family from 1722; between 1772 and 1883 the town, being a county seat, accommodated many noble personalities. Between 1848 and 1918 it was a centre of constituency. Lajos Kossuth paid a visit here in December 1848; after the reconciliation of 1867 between Austria and Hungary he was awarded an honorary citizenship, and in 1992 the villagers erected a statue to commemorate him.

Although the village did have a lot of famous visitors during its history, still its inhabitants are people with realistic views, thus they have remained simple and sober, like those making their living out of agriculture, pick and shovel work, even if they happened to leave the settlement in the course of their lives. (Lajos Bartucz, the notable anthropologist was one of them.) Green, the colour of hope, also refers to the fact that the dwellers, apart from bringing up their own offsprings, also take loving care of orphans, since in 1902 an orphanage, while in 1950 a children's home was established here.

The ploughshare and the coulter symbolise a community growing corn, wheat, hemp, barley and vegetables, but at the same time they are symbolical of local milling industry. (The local windmill was built in 1802.) These tools also symbolise János of Nepomuk, patron saint of travellers, millers and waterfarers. The saint was erected a statue in the village in 1795.

VISIT SZEGVÁR!

Szegvár is a little village in the South part of Hungary in Csongrád county. It is easy to reach from all the bigger towns (Szentes, Csongrád, Hódmezővásárhely, Szeged) since the furthest one is only 52 kilometers far from here. Szegvár sometimes is called the village of waters because two rivers run trough it and also has two lakes. First we have to mention is in the middle of the village. This is lake Kórógy. The other one called lake Lándor is three or four kilometers far from The North-West part of Szegvár. This last one is an ancient pond. River Tisza is only 200 m far from lake Lándor next to it is its backwater. This backwater has a large surface and rich flora and this way is able to give places to many kinds of animals to live. You can watch birds and other animals living near the water. You can find some brooklets here as well: Brooklets Ludas and Kórógy which can be used for irrigation. All of these natural waters are full of fish as carps, bleaks, pikes, catfishes.

Szegvár has an interesting historikal past as well. The visitors can see these ancient fins in the Museum of Szegvár. You can also have a look at some tipical Hungarian houses and the catholic church which was built in 1739. You get acconmodation in pleasantcottages having all the modern conveniences. Adress: Accomodation Organising Agency (Vendéglátást Szervező Iroda) 6635 Szegvár, Puskin utca 10. This agency also organises meals and entertainments including by horsedrawn veihicles, relaxing on the beach of River Tisza and bowling

Good-bye in Szegvár!

KOMMEN SIE NACH SZEGVÁR!

Die Gemeinde Szegvár befindet sich im südlichen Teil Ungarns, im Komitat Csongrád. (Von Szentes 10 km entfernt, bis nach Hódmezővásárhely 25 km und nach Szeged sind es 52 km.) Szegvár wird auch das " Dorf der Gewässer" genannt, weil zwei kleine Flüsse: die Kurca und Kórógy hindurch fließen. Es gibt auch zwei natürliche Teiche: der Kórógy-Teich, welcher die Dorfmitte mit seinem gletten Wasserspiegel und romantischen Ufern schmückt, sowie der Lándor-Teich. Er befindet sich 3-4 km nordwestlich der Gemeinde, und ist ein uralter Fischteich . Ungefähr 4 km westlich der Gemeinde 200 m von Lándor-Teich fließt die Theiß. Nicht weit von Ihr, 1 km, findet man die "Tote-Theiß", welche mit ihrer freien Wasserfläche eine unsagbar bezaubernde Naturschönheit darstellt. Mit einer reichen Vegetation gibt sie ein Heim für eine abwechslungsreiche Tierwelt. Vom Boot aus kann man die verschiedensten Vogelarten und auch die im Wassen lebenden und zum Wasser kommenden Tiere beobachten. Südlich des Dorfes findet man den Ludas-Kanal, welchen genau wie den Kórógy-Fluß, die Einwohner Szegvárs auch zum gießen benutzen. Da diese Kanäle sehr wasserreich sind, kann man sehr gut mit Booten auf ihnen verkehren. In jeden der natürlichen Gewässer befinden sich viele Fische. In der langsam fließenden Kurca, Kórógy, Ludas, die "Toten-Theiß", die Theiß und in den Teichen wachsen riesige Welse und Karpfen aller arten. Öfters gehen auch Hechtbarsche, Zwergwelse, Hechte und Weifische an die Angel. Szegvár verfügt auch über eine reiche geschichtliche Vergangenheit. Andenken früherer Zeitalter kann der Besucher im Dorfmuseum besichtigen. (Hunyadi str. 31) Die katholische Kirche (Hunyadi str. 35) erbaut in 1739, ist ein bewundernswertes Barock Bauwerk. Die Unterkunft in vollkonfortablen Bauernhausern versichert das "Gastgeber Organisationsbüro" (Vendéglátást szervező Iroda) 6635 Szegvár, Puskin utca 10 Tel.: 06 63/364-557. Die Beköstigung und Programme organisiert auch das Büro. Auch extra Ansprüche werden erfüllt, wie zum Beispiel das kochen von Bauernspezialitäten im Freien in der Kessel. Möglichkeiten im Program: Angelfischerei, Kahnfahren, Ausflüge, Ritt, Wanderung, Baden in der Theiß bei Mindszent, oder Kegeln auf der automatischen Kegelbahn, usw.

Wir freuen uns auf Ihren Besuch in Szegvár!