National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Szárliget [¤]
Click to zoom

Szárliget

(Komárom-Esztergom County)

Triangular shield erect, party per pale or and vert. In shield three stylised oak trees are borne encouped. Two of them are symmetrically arranged in the chief. Third tree is borne in the middle of the base. Trees are decorated with two acorns and three leaves each, and they have three roots below. Oak trees are tinctured vert and or. In dexter field or a tree vert, in sinister field vert a tree or is borne. The oak tree in the middle of the shield is partitioned into two by a line of division: dexter half of the tree borne in field or is tinctured vert and the sinister half of the tree borne in field vert is tinctured or.

The village of Szárliget is barely more than one hundred years old. This is why no historical monuments, records, old documents or stories exist in relation to the settlement’s past. The village had had several names before it was given the name Szárliget. A settlement called Felsőtanya (Upper Farm) used to exist in this area and in the early 19th century the village was part of the estate of the Eszterházys of Tata. They leased the area to various tenants and the settlement itself consisted of the servants’ houses and it also had a railway station. The number of inhabitants was continuously on the rise in this period and the local people made their living from timber cutting, lime and charcoal burning and wood working.

In 1891 the Hungarian State Coal Mines Co. purchased Felsőtanya as well as the surrounding areas. A timber storage area was established in the vicinity of the railway station and in 1920-30 war invalids and orphans received plots of lands in the village as compensation for their losses. It was in 1924 that the local office of the FAKSZ (National House Building Society in the Countryside) was established int he village, an organisation for coordinating and financing the building of rural houses. From Felsőtanya the inhabitants usually walked to the neighbouring villages of Felsőgalla, Szár and Bicske to work. During the second world war the majority of local people fled to Tatabánya and Szár. The settlement was badly damaged during the war years. In 1945 it was only a village of 159 houses and of about 600 inhabitants.

After the war a period of growth began until eventually Szárliget became an independent settlement. The village has a built-in inner area of 75 hectares and it has 750 houses. In the 1960s nice recreation areas were established in the village and many holiday homes were built, which were extremely popular with the holidaymakers who had come from Budapest and Tatabánya. The area is known for its exceptional natural beauty, a variety of landscape, as well as its unique flora and fauna. In order to protect this beautiful area in 1995 Szárliget and all the nearby places in the Gerecse Hills were raised to the rank of a district of landscape conservation. The route of the National Blue Tour also leads through the settlement.

Before 1930 the settlement was called Rokkanttelep (Invalids’ village), then until 1945 it was known as Szár-Újtelep and Újszár, until 1971 Szár II, then from 1971 onward the settlement’s official name is Szárliget.

The village of Szárliget is divided into two parts by the Budapest-Hegyeshalom railway line, but for long the border between Fejér and Komárom-Esztergom Counties also cut it into two parts. The inhabitants of Szárliget initiated on several occasions that their village be attached to Komárom-Esztergom County, an effort, which eventually led to success in 1999. The proximity of the county seat gave impetus to further development. At present the number of inhabitants is 2112. The settlement’s infrastucture is well-developed with up-to-date gas and water mains, cable television and telephone network.