National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the City of Sopron [** ¤]
Click to zoom

Sopron

(The Country of Győr-Moson-Sopron)

Sopron is a town in Western Hungary, situated south of Lake Fertő, at the foot of the Sopron Hills, by the brook Ikva.

Heater erect, gules. A seal print double-ringed, all argent. Inside the ring, starting from the Maltese cross borne in chief, a legend in capitals reading SOPRON CIVITAS FIDELISSIMA (Sopron, the most loyal town). In the field of the seal a castle masoned with ashlars argent, on the battlement crenellated with five merlons five Gothic windows sable. Issuing from the battlement, between two lower-built towers trellissed with a window each, a higher two-windowed tower is borne; all the towers crenellated with three merlons each. In dexter chief a woman's head eradicated, borne affronté, crowned with a four-pointed crown and enclosed in an aureole, all or. In sinister chief a man's head or, eradicated, adorned with a thick beard and moustache, also enclosed in an aureole or. In base an olive branch bent alaisé, or, with leaves shorter to the dexter and longer to the sinister.

The dominant feature of the city coat-of-arms is the seal charge, the legend of which was enacted by Parliament in 1922 (Article 29), after the referendum of December 1921, which decided that Sopron join Hungary. However, this loyalty is much longer-standing, because from as early as the 10th-11th centuries the borders of the country were guarded by archers, whose name is still reflected in the place name of Lövérek (Archers).

In addition, the brigades of Sopron, commanded by Bailiff Jan, were engaged in the patriotic wars in the South (1071). As a reward for their 'fidelity deserving gratitude', the privileges of the citizens were endorsed in 1277 by King Ladislas IV. In 1440, a period of struggle for succession, Sopron supported the legitimate ruler, the infant Ladislas V. In 1483, King Matthias gave his own royal house of residence to the town as a sign of gratitude. During the Turkish era Sopron was an important base of logistics, sometimes the scene of crowning a king (Ferdinand III, 1625) or a queen (Eleanor, 1622 and 1681), as well as seat of Parliament. This is the past in which the vote of 1921 and the title awarded and sanctioned in 1922 are rooted.

The castle in the seal field evokes the several-thousand-year- -history of the settlement. The area had been inhabited from olden times. Its early fortification, which might have stood in today's Erdburger (Earthwork) field, was probably erected before the Celtic age, for its Celtic name Scarbantia means 'scattered, destroyed fortress'. This name was later taken over by the Romans, who made the town one of the most flourishing settlements of the province of Pannonia. Despite its decline from the end of the 4th century AD onwards, the area never got depopulated. An evidence of this is the mention of the settlement in AD 845 as Oudinburch, which is the German metaphrase of the Celtic name. With its defensive walls, bastions, towers, Gothic and since then rebuilt churches, cloisters, as well as public and listed buildings, Sopron is Hungary's best-preserved town. In addition, the complete documented material of the magistrate has been left intact up to the present day.

The city wall without a gate is an expression of the citizens' awareness of their own value, their need for autonomy and relatedness, the thousand-year-old conditioning for self-defence, and their parochial spirit. The open windows of the wall and the towers, on the other hand, suggest openness to the world and readiness to absorb new and creative efforts.

The motives on the shield outside the seal derive from the Hungarian cult of the Virgin Mary. The special composition of the image of the crowned Virgin evokes the Regina-cycle of the Loreto litany, in particular the element Patrona Hungariae, the most important one for Hungarians and only to be heard in Hungary. The (celestial) golden olive branch also represents the Virgin Mary, the 'Queen of Peace' (Regina Pacis). Finally, since her holiest role was to be 'Holy Mother of God' (Sancta Dei Genetrix), it is obvious why the sinister chief bears the finely elaborated portrait of Jesus Christ.

Homepage: www.sopron.hu