In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
The coat-of-arms of Somogyhárságy is a standing triangle escutcheon split into four by silver and red areas with a heart formed escutcheon. In the blue area of the heart formed escutcheon there is a gold heraldic Lily. In the first, silver section of the escutcheon there are three green linden leaves forking out from the same point. In the second, red section there are three (2:1) gold bees in two rows. In its third, red section there is a gold apostolic double-cross with archlike widening stem which is nail-ended at the bottom. In its fourth, silver section there is a green bunch of grapes with leaves. In the threefold arched gold ribbon under the escutcheon the name of the village SOMOGYHÁRSÁGY is written in black ink.
The History of Somogyhárságy
Somogyhárságy is a little village situated in the Zselic Hills in the south west of Hungary. The closest town is Szigetvár which is about 18km far. The village belonged to County Somogy until 1950 when it was joined to County Baranya.
At present the village is under the administration of the office of district-notary. It has a primary school, a kindergarten, a general practitioner works in the village, there is a savings bank and a grocery which provide some of the population with working possibilities.
The history of the village dates back to the Middle Ages. Its name was first mentioned as Hassagh in 1246. In 1489 it was two separate villages: Felsew Hassagh (Upper-Hassagh) and Alsó-Hassagh (Lower Hassagh), and joined again in 1724 when it is mentioned as Hárságy. In the early 19th century the village was again mentioned as Kishárságy (Little Hárságy) and Nagyhárságy (Great Hárságy) then, at the end of the 19th century the two villages were joined again and since then it has been known as Somogyhárságy.
It is difficult to decide now which village was the original. It could be the place called Kesefalva in the valley which lays at the south end of Somogyhárságy in the Kese-ditch, or the one to the west of what is now Kishárságy, around the so called former Ash-house.
The first written sources are from the 14th century, the village was owned by the Győr family. In 1346 during the classified partitioning the village was given to Peter Szerdahelyi Dersfi. In the 16th century (between 1598 and 1599) its landlord was Mihály Székely, then in the 17th century (in 1626) Farkas Imrefy. In a census made before 1703 it is known as Pál Festetics's land. The village was destroyed during the war against the Turks and it did not exist for 4 decades. It is mentioned again in 1726 as a farmstead, then it becomes uninhabited in 1730.
Its colonializing at that time was only possible from abroad, especially people from German principalities settled in the area. First tradesman arrived at the reign of Maria Theresa, their probable origin is of Frank and Morva region. These people came from poor, dolomitic and mountainous area where people lived from the forests and the main occupation was glassworks. They continued this trade and its result brought development. Hárságy became a prosperous village in 3-4 years. The Roman Catholic church was built during this time in 1779.
At the time of the first census in Hungary (1784-1787) its population consisted of 670 German inhabitants, and there were 121 houses. Its name at that time was Harshág, it was a catholic village, and its landlord was Lajos Festetics.
Owing to some difficulties in working for living and some catastrophes such as plague the population of the village did not change for 30 years. From Elek Fényes's Geographical Dictionary of Hungary we can learn that there was a village called Great-Hárságy in 1851 which belonged to County Somogy. The village at that time had a population of 597. A vineyard and a forest belonged to then village at that time. In 1885 the area of the village was 4506 cadastral acres.
According to Klara Mérey D.'s research the total number of wage-earners in 1900 was 668 out of which 450 worked in agriculture, 56 in industry and 127 as a day-labourer. As one can see from these data, the majority of the village earned their wages from agriculture, only a small number made their living from trade; they were the "craftsmen" of the village, such as the innkeeper, the miller, the cooper, the grocer etc. The landowners of the village remained the Festetics family until the end of the 19th century and then the Bolza family held possession of it. The number of the German population increased until the end of the 19th century, when 70 percent of the inhabitants were of German origin.
In 1914 the village belonged to the Szigetvár district, at that time it had the name Somogyhárságy. The population was 1278 out of which 389 were Hungarian and 889 German. 220 men of the village took part in WW1 and 28 died during the fights. There is a board in the church wall commemorating the heroes. WW2 brought changes to the life of the village, as most of them were German it was not difficult to establish Hitler Jugend and Volksbund. There were frequent arguments between the Hungarians and the Germans at that time.
After WW2 a new era started in the village. The feature and composition of Somogyhárságy significantly changed. In 1944 and 1945 63 families sought refugee abroad, and 57 families were deported out of which 8 returned. After deportation a large number of settlers came to live in the village mainly from Counties Békés, and Somogy, from Croatia and from the so called Highland, the south part of what was Czechoslovakia at that time.
In 1949 10 families established the local farmers' co-operative. The lands of Kishárságy became part of the Szigetvár State Estate. The co-operative flourished until the mid-70s when it was joined with other co-opertive in the area. The majority of the village lived from agriculture. A significant change occurred when in the mid-1960 a new road was built between Somogyhárságy and Szigetvár. This enabled the people to find work in factories in Szigetvár (canning factory, shoe factory, trade co-operative). But the need for better standard of living resulted in migration. In 1982 the village had a population of 797 while in 2001 it was 548 together with the neighbouring village, Antalfalu.
In the mid-1990s, owing to the close down of the factories, the State Estate and the co-operatives around about 40 percent of the population became unemployed. A solution for the present day problems would be if the village stopped being a "dead-end place" by building a road between Somogyhárságy and Kaposvár. This might bring some possible workplaces for the population.
Despite these difficulties cultural and sport life in the village is quite active. There is civil organisation called Association for the Development of Somogyhárságy, which was found in 1998. The association organises cultural and sports events of which the most popular is the yearly organised Peasants' Olympic Games. Its members also work a lot of making the village more and more attracitve. There has also been a football team in Kishárságy for decades, which makes life of the village more colourful.