National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Solt [** ¤]
Click to zoom

Solt

(The County of Bács-Kiskun)

The town of Solt is situated by the river Danube, in the northwestern part of the county of Bács-Kiskun. During its history it used to belong to the county of Fejér (11-17th centuries), it was the seat of an independent county (1414-15), it was annexed to the county of Pest in 1655, it was part of the comitat in 1876, then in 1950 it became one of the settlements of the county of Bács-Kiskun. Its first seal is known from as early as 1619, and when the contemporary coat-of-arms was created, they used the charges of that one, as well as those of the seal of 1854. The body of local representatives approved the town's coat-of-arms in 1994.

Kite shield erect azure, base curved to a point. In the chief a five-pointed open crown or (with two orbs between three leaves), the headband ornamented with geometrical shapes. Below the crown two keys or crossed in saltire with the three-arched rings downward, the wards cut in the shape of a patriarchal cross pointing to the dexter and to the sinister respectively, the barrels ending in an orb each. In the base the keyrings surround a six-pointed star argent.

The colour blue signifies a variety of concepts. It recalls the blue sky, because in this region of the country the sky is almost permanently blue because of the high number of sunny hours; it symbolises culture and education as well, the high level of which is granted by the town's numerous schools, cultural centres, library and also by its various cultural events (like The Solt Sping Festival), as well as by the hospitality of the local inhabitants. The colour blue also recalls the local radio transmitter broadcasting all over the world the fame of our nation. The blue is also the colour of peace, a reminder of the one-time landowner, Ágoston Vécsey, who was granted the earl's rank by Emperor Francis I for his merits during the peace talks closing the Napoleonic wars. The blue, the colour of waters this place is so rich in, recalls the river Danube, its branches and ferry, the brooks, ponds, canals, marshes, and the thermal baths in operation here for almost six decades. The bank of the river Danube has been a favourite spot for sportsmen, bathers, anglers, but for thousands of years it used to be the chief source of danger as well for the locals because ot its devastating floods. This is why a defense-system was established here as early as the reign of King Sigismund (1387-1437).

The charges borne freely in the shield evoke the spacious plain region nearby covering an area extending from the bank of the Danube toward the Great Plain.

The crown symbolises the fact that the flood-safe mounds have always been inhabited in the region; following the Magyar Conquest it was first a princely, then a crown possession. (Its name also originates from a Turkish family name). The settlement's first mention in writing dates back to as early as 1145; in 1325 it was already the seat of an administrative region named after the settlement. Solt was also inhabited by the lesser nobility. It was here that Palatine Drügeth's deputy lieutenant named László and his district magistrates had a legal trial. In 1384 Solt was raised to the rank of market-town; later, however, in the period of the Turkish reign it shrank again to the size of a village, but still it remained inhabited. In 1715 it was a market-town again, and in the 18th century the Révay and Renaut baronial families as well as the Counts Berchtold, Nemes, Vécsey, Benyovszky, Cebrian, Pongrácz, Schaffgotsch and Teleki used to have land possessions here; they were entitled to wearing coronets as well. Several of these families' mansions can still be found here. These buildings are today used in tourism, health care and public administration. The crown over the shield is also a symbol of the rank of town given to Solt in 1997, as well as of the local autonomy.

An aitologic legend relates to the charges of the keys. It tells that during the Mongol invasion (1241-42) the inhabitants hid King Béla IV from the bloodthirsty enemy. Later the king, as a sign of his gratefulness, gave two golden keys to the inhabitants of Solt, who then safeguarded them in the orb of the cross on the church. Unfortunately the church got later struck by lightning, burnt down and the keys were melted; thus, the memories of the 'town with the golden keys' are kept only by the charges of the town's coat-of-arms and the name of a lane called Királyberke (The King's Marshes). Actually, the keys are more likely to symbolise episcopal possessions, and the motif of the patriarchal cross symbolises this concept as well as the loyalty to the Hungarian nation and the religious faith of the locals. The keys arranged per saltire can refer to the place itself as an important hub of roads, railways and waterways.

The star recalls the continuity of life in this region; neither the Mongol invaders nor the Ottoman conquerors could destroy the settlement. Solt had its heroes as well: one of them was the martyr of Arad, General Károly Vécsey and his fellow soldiers buried here, the victims of the two world wars and those of the revolutions of 1919 and 1956. A Memorial Park has been devoted to the honour of these people.

The dominant metal of the coat-of-arms is gold, an indicator of local economy. It emphasises the idea that Solt has been from the very beginning an important centre for transport, a market town as early as the 14th century. The hard-working people of Solt made a living and are still making a living out of agriculture. Solt's viniculture and its wine cellars dug in the mud are widely known. The horse shows and the famous mutton stew are reminders of its one-time remarkable cattle raising. On the other hand, the town is also able to meet the challenges of modern life.

Pictures:

1. The Danube Lido

2. Károly Vécsey Municipal Library and Memorial Park

3. The Teleki Mansion Hotel