National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Sellye [¤]
Click to zoom

Sellye

(The County of Baranya)

The town of Sellye is situated in the southwestern part of the county of Baranya, in the valley of the River Dráva, in a region called Ormánság. The settlement was raised to the rank of town on 1 July 1997. This was the occasion on which its symbols, the coat-of-arms and the flag, were created.

The coat-of-arms is a shield erect with a rounded base. In the field azure a convexed base or. In the base a bar wavy azure, symbolising the River Dráva. The region called Ormánság is the flood area of the Dráva, thus the river has always played and is still playing multiple roles in the lives of the settlements located in the region.

Issuing from the base or is the chief motif of the coat-of-arms, a vine stock or supported by a prop. The reason for this motif to be emblazoned in the shield is that it refers to some major landmarks in the settlement's history: in the papal tythe register of 1332 it was already mentioned as a market town and the centre of a vast domain, and in 1781 the status of market town was again granted to the settlement by Emperor Joseph II. Its seal with the legend "SIGILLUM OPPID SELLYE 1781" bears evidence of the viticulture still thriving in the area at the time. The legend reads "The seal of the market town of Sellye 1781".

During the course of its history, the settlement has always played a central role. Sellye and its environs were inhabited as early as 6-7,000 years ago. The first written mention dates from 1292, when contemporary Sellye was a centre of political life. This is further proved by a 15th century document, which relates that the settlement of Szuhámlak (today's Suhopolje in Croatia) situated beyond the River Dráva was also part of the domain administered by Sellye.

As early as 1332, Sellye was already a market town endowed with the right to hold fairs, and the residents were protected by a palisaded fortress. The golden age of the settlement came during the reign of King Mátyás (Mathias), when it functioned as the centre of the domain and also as that of an ecclesiastical district.

During the Turkish reign Sellye suffered great destruction, but its role as a political and administrative centre was soon recognised by the Turks, who in 1551 made it a nahije (a judicial district), to which 69 villages belonged.

After the expulsion of the Turks, the slowly reviving settlement at times belonged to the comitat of Somogy, at other times to Baranya.

From the 1700s, Sellye was owned by the Batthyány family. In 1671 the Calvinist school started to be organised, which was in 1779 complemented by Count Batthyány with a German school for the German clerks in his service.

The only remaining historical monument at Sellye is the Batthyány mansion. To the 16th century building Lajos Batthyány added three wings in 1745-50.

At the beginning of the 19th century, the domain of Sellye went into the possession of the Draskovich family through marriage. It is due to Iván Draskovich that the area around the mansion was developed into a botanical garden, which today is a nature conservation area.

In the 1880s Sellye became a busy industrial centre. It was here that the Danube's first steam boat Carolina was built, and launched in 1817.

During the 1848-9 war of independence the settlement was an important military camp, the first stronghold in the defensive line of Somogy.

In 1872 Sellye was once and for all annexed to the county of Baranya. Even if in the same year the status of market town was abolished, on official documents Sellye kept on using its market-town seal until 1912.

Although during the Serbian occupation that followed after the first world war Sellye was made a district seat, development in the inter-war period proved to be slow.

The railway line was built at the turn of the 19th-20th centuries. Following the second world war there was a great leap in Sellye's development, especially after it had again been made a district seat. With regard to the whole history of the Ormánság region, the contemporary district with Sellye as the centre was the largest-ever unified formation within the region. With the 49 settlements belonging to it, Sellye's area of attraction was considerably larger in size than the limits of its administrative region.

In 1970 the settlement was raised to the rank of municipality, and in 1997 it became a town.

Today's Sellye, since it is the only town in the Ormánság region, serves as the centre of education, health care, administration, culture and trade.

The sun rayonnant or (i.e. the golden sun in splendour) in the upper dexter part (dexter chief) of the shield symbolises that the ancient people living in the Ormánság region were sun worshippers, whereas the star or and argent in the upper sinister part (sinister chief) is the symbol of ecumenism.

The shield's outer ornament is an oak wreath tinctured vert (in two shades of the colour green). In fact, this motif does not belong to the coat-of-arms proper, but it serves as an ornament, symbolising the Ormánság region rich in oak forests.

Photos:

1. Angling pond

2. Guest house

3. Mansion

4. Big pool

5. Small pool

6. Playground

7. Sports Hall

8. Catholic Church

9. Garden Pavillion

10. Elementary School