National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Sásd [¤]
Click to zoom

Sásd

(Baranya County)

Triangular shield erect and vert. Its central charge is a letter ’S’ argent, borne encouped, and in the middle entwined with a two-leaved sedge, also argent.

Sásd is a 700-year-old settlement, located in the Hegyhát region of Baranya County. It serves as administrative centre of 22 smaller settlements in the region. Sásd was raised to the rank of town on July 1, 1995. The town is easily accessible via main roads No. 66 and 666 and via rail it is served by the Dombóvár-Pécs railway line.

As it is proven by late Bronze-age artefacts, a settlement used to exist in this place as early as the 12th century B.C. Following the Hungarian Conquest of the 9th century the area became the property of Chief Koppány. The first written mention of the settlement goes back to a papal tithe of 1332-35. In the 16th century the settlement was owned by the members of the Werbőczy family. The occupying Turks had a palisaded fortress built here, which later got burnt down by Zrínyi’s troops. The settlement was liberated from the Turks in 1686 and from 1793 onward Sásd served as a religious centre. During the revolution and the war of independence of 1848-49 the National Army of the Hegyhát region led by the chief district administrator of Sásd, attacked and defeated the Austrian troops stationed in Pécs. In the early 20th century, between 1918-21, when Pécs was occupied by Serbian troops, Sásd temporarily became the county seat. From this period onward the settlement developed rapidly. Its milling industry was thriving and its infrastructure was also improving. During the second world war only minor military events occurred in the vicinity of Sásd. In 1950 new industrial plants began to operate in Sásd. It was in 1971 that the settlement lost its rank as a regional administrative district centre. Following the changing of the political system in Hungary the stagnating settlement once again underwent a phase of dynamic development. In 1995 Sásd was raised to the rank of town.

The town today has a population of 3,700, and, due to the mobility of people, between 1970 and 1980 the number of local inhabitants increased by 800. Minorities include Germans (30%) and Romanies ((8%). The breakdown of population by age is also a good sign for the future. The younger generation of 15-39 year-olds dominates population figures (36%) and the number of the elderly is relatively low (17.3%). When analysing the local population by their educational background there are also promising figures. The number of skilled workers and of high-school graduates exceeds 500-500 and there are 210 local inhabitants who hold university or college degrees.

Sights of the town include the building of the Catholic church, erected in 1796 in late Baroque style and the statue of St. John of Nepomuc, which is seen in the churchyard.