National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Salgótarján
Click to zoom

Salgótarján

(The County of Nógrád)

The coat-of-arms of the Salgótarján Municipality is a split shield with a pointed bottom, on the right side of which three silver (white) stripes are depicted - representing 3 streamlets, Salgó, Tarján and Pécskő that cut across the region - against a black background, which symbolises the industrial and coal mining past of the town.

In the silver field (half) on the left a black eagle is discernible that is just taking wings above three green hillocks.

The before mentioned three green hillocks represent the natural environment of the town, the black eagle was the symbol of one of the ancient Hungarian tribes that occupied the territory of Hungary, called Tarján.

On the front, there are two gold curved crown-formed bastions with five towers each, the edges of which directly touch the edges of the shield and which stand for the castles that surround Salgótarján (Baglyaskő, Salgó and Zagyvafő).

Salgótarján, the county town of county Nógrád is situated in the northern part of Hungary in a valley surrounded by Karancs Hill, Medves Hill and the Cserhát mountains. The town is regarded a middle-sized settlement with its 46,000 inhabitants.

The territory of Salgótarján is 20,6 kms2, it's distance from the capital is 110 kms. The town can be approached on motor road No. 21, which forms a direct link with M3 motorway. Salgótarján is a border crossing location, more economically and administratively significant Slovakian towns are within a 2-3-hour-reach.

The modern age development of the town was determined mainly by coal mining and railway construction and the depending steel and iron and glass producing industry in the second half of the 19th century. Due to the civilisation-creating power of industry, the small village having a few hundred inhabitatnts became the most populated location in the region after a few decades and after the Trianon Peace Treaty (1920) it grew into the biggest mine town of the country.

In 1922, Salgótarján was declared a town and gained the county town status in 1929. Salgótarján was a town of significant economical consequence and played an important role between the World War I and II, on the basis of which the powerful development of the location has started (creation of new quarter, large-scale public utility network and public road constructions, the number of government institutions has grown up in the town).

Thanks to the favourable economical, administrative and political conditions after 1945, Salgótarján became a county town in 1950. The realisation of modernisation projects that created the today's face of Salgótarján started in the 1960-1970-s. Similarly to the county towns, Salgótarján has an attractive force, too, and plays the role of economical, administrative, cultural and political centre throughout county Nógrád. Its role is extremely strong not only as an attractive centre but as the centre of the Salgótarján industrial region and extensive middle-level commercial supplying centre as well.

The industry of the town had been basically characterised by heavy industry and largescale mass production (metallurgy, machinery production, sheet and hollow glass factory). What is the most stimulating with a view to investments and big projects is the fact that the investors can get these institutions being out of use these days at a quite favourable price as the prices of real estate market are below the country average. The indispensable background of infrastructure is also provided in the area: the capacity of the constructed public utility networks (water, electric, gas and channel networks) has been highly oversized than the present operation demands, the telecommunications network has been also fully built up. The level of bank and other financial services meets the one like in other county towns, the leading Hungarian banks all run local offices or branches in the town.

The Hungarian Goverment made a resolution in 1998, according to which the Salgótarján-Bátonyterenye area - involving 34 surrounding locations - was donated the title of 'frequented undertaking zone' with the aim of improving and strengthening the economical position of the area, encouraging the establishing of new economical organisations and ventures, providing new emlployment facilities and enbancing the competitiveness in the region.

The town municipality promotes the ventures and economical organisations by providing tax allowance in the measure as stated in the government resolution on local taxes, which has a great and determining influence to the general improvement of the town.

In Salgótarján there's a wide-spread infrastructure of the human sphere, which provides a steady base for science, culture, arts and sports. There are 15 municipality and a Christian nurseries, 14 primary schools and 10 secondary schools in the town providing primary and secondary education. These institutions provide the educational service for nearly 12,000 students, who are from Salgótarján and from the neighbouring locations.

There are two sporting events of overriding importance that have become integral parts of the present life and tourist image of the town by nowadays. One of them is Salgó Rallye, the car race, which attracts more ten thousands of people and which is the most renowned program of the Hungarian car sport. The Salgó Rallye has been qualified several times in the past few years as the best heat in the country. The other one is the sporting event that is a unique in the international athletic life and usually takes place on the main squere of Salgótarján: the Salgótarján Jumping Championship. It has two events: high jumping and pole-vault. Numbers of world-widely famous athletes made the competitions memorable in the past 10 years.

Mainly sport, culture and environment protection are the base of the international relationships that the town has established with Gliwice (Poland), Valenciennes (France), Nacka (Sweden), and Doncaster (England). Salgótarján has also built up other wide-range and close relationship with Banská Bystrica (Slovakia) and Vantaa (Finland).

The real beauty of Salgótarján lies in its natural environment. Eresztvény, the famous touring place and the ruins of Salgó and Somoskő Castle are all within an easy reach. On Medves plateau - surrounding Salgó Hill (620 m), under the castle - and in Szilváskő ideal ski courses and ski-lifts attract the visitors in winters. Marvellous regions of Pécskő Hill and Karancs Hill are excellent for those who are fond of making longer tours or excursions. As the Hungarian-Slovakian border is close to the town, it is very easy to make a tour not only to the larger towns of the neighbouring country but to the Low Tatras and the High.

Pictures:

1. Main square

2. Part of the main square with the EU park

3. View of the city