In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
The coat-of-arms is a shield erect with a rounded base. In the base a bar wavy azure, across the top a crown verdured or symbolising agriculture.
In the upper field gules a lion rampant or, holding in the dexter paw a heraldic star argent, in the sinister paw a ploughshare argent pointed downward and bladed to the dexter.
Under the bar wavy azure symbolising the Répce River a field or representing the fertility of the soil of Kisalföld (small plain). Issuant from the field's fissure borne per bend some bubbles argent, symbolising the rich carbon dioxide content of the low-lying layers of ground.
The town, situated in the southern part of the Kisalföld (Small Hungarian Plain) and on the northern border of County Vas, was first mentioned by the name 'Lak' in a document dated 1268. The most renowned and most powerful landowners of the town were the members of the Radó family. The coats of arms of the Habsburgs and the Stahrembergs displayed in the remaining part of the Radós' mansion keeps the memory of a 1707 historical meeting , during the period of the war of independence.that took place between Stahremberg, the Austrian military leader and the delegation of the town of Kőszeg Kálmán Radó became famous on the one hand for being the lord lieutenant of County Vas from 1882 onwards and on the other for establishing a model farm on his estate. Due to the high standard of industrial and agricultural production at Répcelak the settlement is today considered to be the most outstanding one among the places of its own kind in County Vas. The Stauffer family of Swiss origin set up a cheese processing factory here in 1905. In Hungary more than 50% of the processed cheese production is manufactured by this- mainly French-owned (Bongrain Group)- factory.
The utilisation of local carbon dioxide was begun after the second world war. The excellent quality and the high pressure of carbon dioxide at Répcelak made it possible to establish an industrial plant of national fame specialising in the production of soda sparklets and of a variety of flavour and whipping cream cartridges. The factory today is in the possession of the German Linde Ltd. The Nagymező co-operative boasts a wide spectrum of agricultural crops, its onion and cabbage ara well-known all over the county. The Répcelak és Vidéke Co-operative owns many shops and restaurant nearby thus it also contributes to the high degree of supply in the region. The impressive fashion shops in the centre of the town invite transit passengers to stop at Répcelak. Many privately owned places cater for the well-being of tourists and locals and offer a good alternative to visitors. These places include a pension, a pizza house, a pastry shop and a restaurant. Medical care is of exceptionally high standard at Répcelak. The petrol station on the edge of the town is also an important factor in local service.
Local cultural life is organised by the Cultural Centre and Library (with Internet access). The best amateur groups include the ÜMMÖGŐ folk dance ensemble and the Choir of Old-Age Pensioners. The settlement's cultural life has been made even more colourful by the artistic and cultural work done in the Farmers' Club, the Anglers' Association, the Firefighters' Association, and the Linde Sports Club. In the Ferenc Móra Primary School specialised musical education is also available. The Calvinists have a church of their own, while the Catholics use a chapel at Répcelak.
The natural surroundings of Répcelak, the rivers and brooks (Répce, Kőris, Kis-Rába and Metszés) make the settlement an ideal place for hikers and tourists.
Répcelak became a town in 2001. July.