National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Rátót
Click to zoom


(Vas County)

On the upper part of the shield is the crest taken from the lion of the coat-of-arms of the Széll family with a heraldic coronet. Below a mantling is borne on both sides issuing from the crest. The lion of the Széll family doesn’t appear on the crest since it isn’t on the coat-of-arms, only on the figures below the helmet. Mantling on both sides with leaves ending in lime leaves adorned with pearls. The upper part is colourful with base colours azure and gules. The coronet and the most outstanding forms of the dexter part are bronzed with contours sable. The base colour of the shield below the motif is pale azure shading into dark azure, shaded from above in 45°. The lion standing on the triple mound (taken from the coat-of-arms of the Széll family) is there transformed to its trunk. The lower part of the coat-of-arms isn’t party per pale, the bse colour of the inner heraldic figure is cream to the base of the coat-of-arms, ending in a slightly arched pointed tip framed dark purpure. Dexter the Roman Catholic Church and the wooden bell tower proper. Sinister, as a remembrance of the martyrs of Arad an oak tree with 13 acorns and adorned with leaf motifs. The tree is proper, yellowish green, brown and grey, filled with autumn atmosphere. Under the trunk a bar containing three triangles surrounds the upper part of the stone monument. In the middle of the gable the number 13 is displayed with a slightly widening base. The colour of the monument is limestone proper.

The history of the Village of Rátót

The Village of Rátót is situated in the western part of Vas County on the left bank of River Rába. Its borders are brook-Lahm from south and main road No8 from north.

In the ancient times Rátót was the manor of the neighbouring Village of Gasztony, its name originated from the words „Rátold” and „Rátód”, as the elderly say. However, it is more probable that it got its name from one of the settlers. In the old deeds the names Rátoldfölde and Rátholdfalva aslo can be read.

Rátót, which had landowners like the Gasztony, Zelles, Széll and Cseh families before 1848, became famous for Kálmán Széll, the one-time Prime Minister of Hungary. The Kálmán Széll Castle with its beautiful garden dates back to this period. The Castle used to be the holiday home of Kálmán Széll for a long time. The building of the castle fulfilled several functions since 1945. At the end of the 1940s it was the accommodation of the tractor-drivers of the to be machine station, later it became a cultural centre. From 1957 to 2001 the local primary school operated in the building. The local authority sold the building in 2003, it is being renovated now and is expected to be working as a castle hotel.

According to the oral tradition, Ferenc Deák, the Sage of the Country – who was the guardian of Ilona Vörösmarty, the wife of Kálmán Széll – was a guest in Rátót many times and planted 13 oak trees to the memory of the martyrs of Arad on the field next to Brook-Lahm.

The daughter and family of Kálmán Széll are buried here in the family crypt. The Park of Arad, which is a nature conservation area, is 5657m2. The trees form a semi-circle, there is an obelisk in front of each tree with the name, and the date of birth and death of the martyrs on each one. Here stand the bust of Ferenc Deák, made by the woodcarver, folk artist András Nagy, who gave it to the village as a gift.

The Roman Catholic church was built in 1992 by the inhabitants of the village working devotionally and giving a lot of money to it.

The church was built in modern style, following the architectural traditions of the area: it has a wooden bell cage and a short, broken hipped roof. One of its bells was taken from the bell cage, having been given to the village by Kálmán Széll.

In front of the church a heroic monument stands as a remembrance of the innocent victims of the World War.