National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Rákóczifalva [¤]
Click to zoom

Rákóczifalva

(Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok County)

Spade shield erect, party per fess azure and vert and contoured or, base curved to a point. Chief and base are proportioned 2:7. On the line of partitioning, also contoured or the charge of a mounted ’kuruc’ warrior is borne, holding a sword in a vertical position. Horse is raising its sinister front and hind legs. The charge of the mounted warrior is borne as a golden silhouette. In base vert a horizontal wavy line argent.

Helm: a ’kuruc’style hat gules, furred proper (brown); it is adorned by a feather argent. Its upper part is stretching over into the blue field of the chief.

Mantling purpure, wind blown canvas, borne asymmetrically around the shield. It is hanging below the pointed base of the shield on the dexter side and reaching only the fess on the sinister.

Rákóczifalva’s coat of arms was created in 1991 and when doing so the settlement’s historical and folk traditions as well as the motives of the village’s seal of 1901 were considered. Rákóczifalva is a relatively young settlement and thus it did not have an ancient seal of its own. When creating the settlement’s new coat of arms the heraldic rules were less strictly observed and the kuruc-style hat instead of the helm and the wind blown canvas in the role of mantling both refer to the link between the village and Prince Ferenc Rákóczi and the war of independence lead by him.

The settlement and its coat of arms

The favourable natural conditions and most importantly the proximity of the river played the most significant role in the foundation of the settlement. At a distance of 1-2 kilometres from the Tisza river the riverbanks are very high and this is why the settlement was built in this place. The high bank seemed to be ideal for protecting the village from floods. Consequently, the proximity of the river and the flood-free area made the foundation of the village possible.

The river played a very significant role in village life. The abundance of water and the naturally winding river bed form a ’green corridor’. The still waters and the nearby protected areas also attract tourists and visitors from towns. The climatic conditions, primarily the long and warm summers make this place ideal for water sports as well.

The area of today’s Rákóczifalva used to be the property of Prince Ferenc Rákóczi. In 1704-06 Rákóczi had a hunting lodge erected on one of the surrounding mounds

The settlement later had several owners until in 1883 it was officially declared a village and it was named Rákóczifalva to honour Prince Rákóczi.

The settlement was inhabited by very poor people so it did not have any property of its own. In 1893 the village leaders decided to pull down Rákóczi’s hunting lodge and use the building material to erect the village hall and the village notary’s residence from it. By doing so the most basic conditions of the settlement’sd autonomy were created.

In spite of this event the inhabitants of Rákóczifalva wanted to keep the Prince’s memory alive and this is why they placed a memorial plaque on the wall of the village school with the words of the following epigram inscribed in it:

’The stones of your mansion were brought here and it is live again.

The public school is our bastion now

With a banner waving from its top. Your ideas will reign this place

As long as our children learn here.’

Although Rákóczi’s lodge was pulled down in the 19th century, his thoughts are alive in early 21st century. His personality helped the inhabitants of the village to identify with progressive trends of the world. Today several public institutions of the settlement bear Rákóczi’s name. They include the Ferenc Rákóczi II Primary School and Art School, the Rákóczi Sports Club and the former Rákóczi Agricultural Cooperative.

The inhabitants of the village erected a Rákóczi statue in front of the village hall in 1986 in order to honour Prince Ferenc Rákóczi. This is the Rákóczi Memorial where the representatives of the village’s local governement and of its public institutions lay the flowers and wreaths of honour every year.

After the changing of the political system in Hungary the local government was established in Rákóczifalva, too. The settlement’s historical and folk traditions got revitalised and its quest for identity was also intensified. As a result Rákóczi’s cult spread and deepened.

In conclusion, the charges of the settlement’s coat of arms are all related to Ferenc Rákóczi’s memory. Same and similar symbols also appear in a variety of local publications.

Photos:

1. Village Hall

2. Cultural Centre

3. Catholic Church

4. Lutheran Church

5. Elementary School

6. Bear-Museum

7. Kuruc tradition preservers

8. Show-jumping

9. Bank of River Tisza

10. Fishing Area of River Tisza