In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
Pomáz lies 14 kilometres from the centre of Budapest at the gateway of the Pilis Mountains. It is a primary starting point for tourist visiting the Pilis. The town can be reached by car or bus or by the Szentendre HÉV /local train/. It has a population of 15,000 people /2002/. In 2000 Pomáz was declared a town.
The coat of arms of Pomáz is oval, on the silver shield stands a five-branched tree on a green mound. Golden ornaments surround the shield above which in the middle there is an orb, which bears a cross in the middle, a multipointed star on a sloping stem on the right and a slopping double cross on the left. At the base "Pomáz" is inscribed on a stylised scroll. The green mound represents the mountains and hills of the town. The tree symbolises the local fruit-growing traditions, the five branches signify the Hungarian, German, Serbian, Slovakian and Gypsy national minorities living in Pomáz. The cross at top represents the Roman Catholics, the star the Calvinists and Lutherans, the double cross represents the Serbian Orthodox congregation.
The area has been inhabited since the prehistoric times, written records have been found dating back to the Romans. Ruins of mansions and of an agricultural centre of the Roman period have been found. A Roman sarcophagus found in the area can be seen in the park in front of the town hall. Chieftain Árpád is said to be buried here, and according to Bonfini the first Christian church in the Carpatian Basin was built here. The settlement was first mentioned in a document from 1138. Since the resettlement after the Turkish Ottoman occupation Serbs, Germans, Slovaks and Gypsies have also lived in Pomáz. Their cultures and traditions are still alive.
There are several buildings of historical interest. One of the most well-known buildings is the Wattay Teleki Mansion, a baroque style building. József Teleki, the first president of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, wrote his historical work "The Age of the Hunyadis" within its walls. The great Hungarian national poet Sándor Petőfi not only spent a few splendid days there but wrote a poem as well. There are three churches in the town / roman-Catholic, Serbian orthodox and a Calvinist/ which are worth seeing. One of the most important religious relics is the white marble renaissance pastoforium from 1519 in the Orbán chapel in Templom square. The late baroque Luppa House, the Luppa Mausoleum on Klissza Hill and the Rónay Villa are also worth mentioning.
Although Pomáz lies on the outskirts of Budapest it is not a typical commuter town, people take active part in its public life. There are more than fifty civil organisations. The town has contacts with several communities in Europe and has two sister towns: Oberhausen-Rheinhausen in Germany and Krzywin in Poland.
1. Town Hall
2. Roman Catholic Church
3. Calvinist Church
4. Luppa-Mandics Mauzoleum
5. Serbian Church
6. Teleki-Wattay Castle
7. Firefighter Section House