National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Pécsvárad [¤]
Click to zoom


(Baranya County)

The written history of the town of Pécsvárad goes back to the period of the reign of king St. Stephen I. It was in 1000 that the founding monarch of the Hungarian state established a Benedictine monastery at Pécsvárad, in the vicinity of the present-day castle and he also bestowed an estate of considerable size on the monks. Thus the settlement played a very important role in the process of the organisation of the Hungarian state and church. Later on in its history Pécsvárad was able to keep its significance as one of the most importanrt administrative centres in the eastern Mecsek region.

After the Turkish occupation between 1543 -1686 Pécsvárad lost its significance as a religious centre and it gained fame as an agricultural and administrative centre. It was also in this period that the original Hungarian inhabitants of Pécsvárad converted to Calvinism. From the period of the Turkish occupation until as late as 1921 Pécsvárad also had Serbian inhabitants.

German people moved to the region beginning from 1686. Pécsvárad lost its rank as town in 1871. The administrative district of Pécsvárad was established as early as 1949 and it functioned until 1966. Later Pécsvárad became part of the Pécs district, then, when it ceased to exist, it joined the administrative district of Komló. In 1970 the settlement became a municipality, then on August 1, 1993 it was once again raised to the rank of town.

Today, since the town features some valuable and rare historical monuments, the 11th cenrtury castle being the most important of them, and it has beautiful surroundings of Mediterranean characteristics, Pécsvárad became an important centre for tourism

The number of population is 4,300, out of which 300 are temporary residents. 30% of the inhabitants belong to the German minority.

The town’s coat-of-arms is officially described in a decree issued by the local government (No. 2/2003.V.1.). The heraldic description is as follows:

The town’s coat-of-arms is a shield erect and azure, base is vert.As central charges the figures of St. George and the dragon are borne in it. The saint is mounted on a horse rampant and with his spear he is sticking the dragon, wriggling on the ground in front of him. The saint, the horse and the dragon are all argent, St. George is habited purpure.

The oldest known seal of Pécsvárad goes back to 1734. It has a legend SIGIL.DSS.MARG.PETWARR.1734. The seal of 1734 features St. George sitting on a gallopping horse and sticking the dragon with his spear. On a document of 1783 St. George is seen with a scourge in his dexter hand. A document of 1786 has a legend SIGIL:PRIVIL:OPP.PÉCSVÁRAD. The two seals were supposedly used simultaneously. Other versions of Pécsvárad’s seal are known from 1789 and 1846. In addition, the figure of St. George appeared on the main altar of the monument of Holy Trinity as well, which was erected in the town’s main square in 1806. This statue used to stand by one of the country’s main roads and it served a votive function, because it was erected after a major epidemic and it mostly featured healing and patron saints.

In 1931 the Baroque-style County Hall in nearby Pécs was decorated with reliefs of the coats-of-arms of the market towns of Baranya County, a collection, designed by artist Zoltán Visy. In this collection of local emblems Pécsvárad’s coat-of-arms appears as a round shield featuring St. George, who, turning from the sinister to the dexter side, is sticking the wriggling dragon to death.

All these seals and emblems served as bases for the creation of the town’s present-day coat-of-arms. It was in 1992 that the local government of Pécsvárad commissioned the creation of the town’s new coat-of-arms. The present-day emblem was designed and created by a local graphic artist, László Csizmadia.