National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Pásztó
Click to zoom

Pásztó

(Nógrád County)

A straight standing (erect) silver shield with a pointed bottom, with a black figurine dominating the middle of the shield that is looking left.

The figurine is based on the contemporary picturing of King Zsigmond (1387-1437) who gave town privileges to Pásztó.

An open straight bottomed crown with leaves is lying on the shield.

The colour of the crown is gold, ornate with silver pearls, red and green precious stones.

Information on the town

The town is built between the Muzsla Peak in the West-Mátra and the Tepke Range in the Cserhát Mountain, on the banks of River Kövicses. The land has been settled since the prehistoric era, some pottery from the 1st-2nd millennium B.C. has been found near Pásztó.

Pásztó became well-known as a borough and a market town. It used to be registered as capital of the district. Now it is the region’s cultural and economic centre. Its region consists of 26 settlements, and about 30000 inhabitants. The population of the city is - with Hasznos and Mátrakeresztes districts – is over ten thousand.

The favourable natural and geographical features soon made it suitable for human settling. Pásztó has been an inhabited place since the ancient times; it was a known settlement even at The Migration. The name “Pásztó” must come from a Slavic language meaning “stallion”. The settlement is first mentioned by the Anonymus chronicle by the name “Paztuh”.

According to Anonymus’s reports the first Hungarian settlers following their leader, Árpád’s commands set off to invade the regions of Nógrád and Gömör from this place.After the destruction of the Tartar invasion of Hungary the monks rebuilt the church, the monastery and the manors. In the early Middle Ages there were two important events that raised the settlement from the average serf-settlement.One of these events was in 1190, when King Béla III settled the Cistercian order. The other event was in 1265, when King Stephen V consigned the right of presentation to the Rátót (Rátold) descendants – people of Tar and Pásztó. They played significant part in the life of the settlement for centuries.In 1298 Pásztó was given the right of holding markets.It was followed by an industrial and agricultural development. Its viniculture was extremely important .The gothic wine cellars in the main street,where we can still store wine , are the relics of the past.In 1407 Lőrinc Tar asked King Sigismund to give Pásztó the letters-patent , so on April 26 the King invested the citizens of Pásztó with the same rights as those of the citizens of Buda.Pásztó was also a cultural centre as the convent operated in the town for a while.It was noted for its medieval school in the 15th century. The golden age of Pásztó was broken by the Turkish invasion. For one hundred years the town was only indicated by burnt stone walls.

In the 1650-s the town started to develop again The Cistercian monks from Moravia holding the deed of gift of Emperor Lipót I built the Baroque monastery , which is a museum at present. In 1787 Joseph II abolished the monastery, but in 1802 it was allowed to operate again.

During the 18th and 19th centuries the dynamism of the previous years no longer characterised the town’s development. The two main events of the 19th century were the delivery of serfs and the enforcement of the 1871 Communal Law, according to which the settlement lost its legal status as a country-town, and was downgraded to a large village.

The industrial revolution did not reach the settlement, however, in 1867, it obtained a railway line, which enabled it to join the stream of the country’s life. As its viticulture was stricken with phylloxera the settlement was deprived of its main income, therefore it had a hard time. Small industry, agriculture and silviculture did not assure the maintenance of the inhabitants.

Between the world wars the number of craftsmen was significant. The viticulture and wine-production of the village did not reach the level it had had before phylloxera.

In 1950 Pásztó was joined to Nógrád County. In the following year it became a district residence. Agriculture and viticulture still featured its economy and the dominant branch in its industry was light industry. At the beginning of the century a hospital was built and in the 1950s a lido was established to make use of thermal springwater. During the 1960s the number of flats increased due to the building of housing estates, while the nice old houses of the rural town nearly disappeared. Pásztó got back its status as a town on January 1, 1984.

Visitors can find significant relics of past centuries in our town. The historical Ruingarden with the relics of the Benedictine then Cistercian monastery is still a living memory of the past.The Baroque monastery, which was built in 1725-1720, holds the local history collection. In the neighbourhood medieval glassworks have been excavated. The hexagonal burial chapel to the north of the St. Laurence Parish church is also a unique monument.

The commemorative room of Dr Benjámin Rajeczky, the musicologist of European fame, also the last prior of Pásztó, can be seen in the restored Baroque monastery building. The Schoolmaster’s House in the historic monument zone was already stated in a 1428 document.It was built from round, rolled brook stones as it was usual in the Mátra district.Under one of the rooms a pitfall was built for storing grain. Here archeologists have found all the personal belongings of a medieval family. This is the only restorably existing town house in Hungary.

Near Hasznos, which is an administrative part of Pásztó, the ruins of the fortress of Cserter from the Arpadian age can be seen on a peak of cliff.

Below the ruins we can see the 2.5 million cubic meter drinking water-basin created by ponding up the stream Kövicses.

Photos

1. St Laurence Parish–Church

2. Schoolmaster’s House with the Glassworks

3. Statue of St. Stephen with the Cistercian monastery in the background

4. Statue of King Sigismund, the founder of the town

5. Monument of Benjámin Rajeczky

6. Statue of St. John of Nepomuk and the 18th c. stonebridge

7. Evangelic church (2002)

8. Group of buildings in the town centre

9. Towngate built to commemorate the millecentenary (1996)

10. Ruins of fortress Cserter with the water- basin in the background