In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
(The County of Vas)
The settlement’s coat of arms can be described as follows: Shield erect and vert. The main charge of the settlement’s coat of arms is a lion statant, langued and tinctured or. Beast is standing on a coulter argent and in its claws it is holding a ploughshare argent. Below the shield a ribbon or and bordured sable in which the settlement’s name OSZKÓ is inscribed in letters sable. Shield and inscription are bornwe within a rectangular frame or.
The village is located on the southern slopes of the hills which are situated between the watershed areas of the Rába and Zala rivers. These hills stretching from the Őrség region toward the town of Sárvár were called Kemeneshát in old geography books. Some new maps also use this traditional name. (The name Kemeneshát can be related to a person’s name and it goes back to the period prior to the Hungarian Conquest of Prince Árpád and his tribal chiefs. Kemeneshát is an area south of the Rába river. The Frankish king used to have an Avar (Sekler) guard by the name ’Cemicas’. Prince Bulgar of Alpár also owned an area by the name Kemen, which was later to be conquered by the Hungarians. The words Kemyn or Kemen (meaning: archer) were commonly used in those days and from 1258-1263 several landowners got registered by one of those names. A document signed by Ali, the Turkish Governor of Fehérvár enlisted several villages located in the hilly regions and Oszkó was one of them. This document was rather to refer to temporary dwellings of those who had fleed the permanent settlements and had chosen to hide in the nearby woods and vineyards. The confusion of settlements in that period was a deliberate one and the aim was to create unique names for the settlements of the Vasvár region.)
In the history of western Transdanubia from as early as the prehistorical times the roads played a significant role in development. Initially all the roads ran from the north toward the south. The village of Oszkó was also founded alongside of one of these north-south roads, which came from the north-south valleys of Zala County and crossed the Kemeneshát region here. Traces of the peoples who had travelled on this road are still to be found in the area near Oszkó.
In the period of the Romans and later during the feuds of nomadic peoples another road, the so-called Military Road gained significance, which ran from the northeast toward the southwest. The Conquering Hungarians used this road when leading their military campaigns to Italy and this was also the road used by western tradesmen and military troops. The road ran through the Kemeneshát region and it was the only point of orientation for contemporary inhabitants. One of the major defense lines of the country was established in the vicinity of Vasvár and the remains of this fortress are still to be seen in the area. The area behind this line got described for the first time in the middle of the 12th century in Latin documents.
Oszkó was one of the largest properties in the area and it was owned by the Oszkó branch of the Nádasdy clan until as late as the early 14th century.
As far as the name of the settlement is concerned several explanations exist. One of these explanations describe a person called Oszkó who had been donated the settlement for his outstanding bravery in battles. Another possibility is that the soldiers of the Carnuntum (Oscan -Southern Italian) legion were bestowed land property in the region.in 43-45 AD. The village today is divided into two parts (Alsó- and Felsőoszkó) by Alsócsapás, a minor road.
The existence of the Vasvár line of defense underlines the strategic importance of the geographical location of the village. It is also important to add that it was also the Oscan people who had guarded the Swiss Gotthard-pass for over 2000 years. The name of the village sounds a bit strange in Hungarian and this is why there are some linguists who relate its origin to the Alans of Persia. According to them similar words occur in various parts of the world from Asturia in Spain to the Asian Aserbajdjan.
If the spelling of old post- Conquest Hungarian words occurring in Latin documents (Zezlwe-szőlő, warthetew-vártető) is compared with the spelling of the variations of the name of the village Oszkó (Vzkow, Oskou, Vzkou, Ozkow, Ozko) then it becomes clear that the letter ’w’ was used int hat time only to signify the length of vowels and it was not a word of Slavic origin ending in –ow. Although, a third hypothesis also exists that the the name is of Slavic origin and it keeps the memory of those Slavic peoples who had lived in the area before the Hungarian Conquest.
It is well known from written documents that in 1353 Oszkó had a church of its own and it had been erected in the village to honour St. George. The first parish priest, whose name came down to us was called Augustine and his name got recorded in a document of 1449. In 1758 the village church was already too small for the larger village community and parts of it were also deterioriating. This is why the church was eventually pulled own and a three-nave church was built to complete its only remaining part, the church tower. The main altar goes back to the early 1800s. In 1872 new flooring and in 1927 a new organ were added to the church interior. The churchyard was remodelled in 1928 and the modern pews were made in 1931. The church of Oszkó is a listed building and it gained its modern form in 1934. The wood carvings of the pulpit and István Dorfmeister’s Piéta are the most famous parts of the church. St. George is the patron saint of the church and his name day, April 24th is the day of the annual village festival. It is the time when local families come together with those family members who in the meantime had moved elsewhere. With its timing this village festival is a nice addition to the series of our many spring holidays.
From the liberation of the serfs to the period of the establishment of collective farms the majority of inhabitants were smallholders. Their main occupations included viniculture, the growing of fruits and corn, animal breeding and dairy farming. In spite of the fact that the living conditions of farmers were gradually turning for the worse in the first decades of the 20th century, the number of local inhabitants was on the increase. In 1930 the number of inhabitants reached its peak around 1450. After 1930 the number of inhabitants began to stagnate and even to decrease slowly, then, in the 1960s, when the collective farms were established, the decrease of population intensified. From 1990 up to now the number of inhabitants has been stagnating around 700. In the communist era three neighbouring villages, Oszkó, Olaszfa and Pácsony had their joint local governments in the village of Oszkó. Part of the village population lives from agriculture. They work in a newly established cooperative or on their family farms.
The Botanical Gardens of Jeli can be reached by a 30-40 minute walk from the village of Oszkó. The botanical gardens are famous for their enormous variety of temperate zone plants. In the middle of May the rhododendrons, the most famous shrubs of the garden are in full bloom. The founder of the botanical gardens was Count István Migazzi Ambrózy and his gardener, Lajos Vörös was buried in the cemetery of Oszkó.
Oszkó is part of the smaller region of Vasvár and due to its lack of infrastructure and unfavourable economic conditions it is one of the underprivileged areas of Hungary. Although the region has lately shown some signs of slow development, it still cannot keep up with other regions.