In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
(The County of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén)
Heraldic description of the coat of arms: The coat of arms of the local government is a shield azure with a coronet crest. On the shield a knight brun, on a stallion, holding a head of a Tartar on a spear. The flag of the village is white, in the middle the coat of arms is depicted.
The village is situated 20 kilometres to the Southwest from Miskolc, at the right bank of the Sajó. The village is in the inundation area of the river, on a plain, which has two other rivers: Hernád and Hejő. The area was inhabited before the arrival of the Hungarians. The first written mention of the village comes from 1296, this time it was called Olnod. By the end of the 14th century, the settlement is mentioned as an oppidum, i. e. a town. Near the village there was a crossing point on the Sajó, and the roads towards the north-eastern parts of the country were running through the village. In the 14th century, Péter Czudar started to build a stone castle at the curve of the Sajó. There has been no stone castles in Borsod country before.
The importance of the castle strengthened in the ottoman era. After the fall of Eger, the castles of the main line of defence were Diósgyőr, Ónod and Szendrő. In this era, the centre of the county was Ónod. In 1639, the Ottomans deprived the castle and set it on fire. The rebuilding of the castle was assisted by Zsuzsanna Lorántffy, who gave 20.000 forints, which at that time were the worth of 5000 oxen. Under the rule of Ferenc Rákóczi II, the castle was used as a military camp. There was a national assembly in Ónod, on the 31st, May, 1707. The most important day of the assembly was June 13th, when the nobles of Hungary dethroned the Habsburgs, and declared the independence of Hungary.
From the centre of the village, we can reach the castle. The castle is surrounded by a trench, and gives a picturesque view. It is important to mention the castle of the Melczer family, which can be found in the centre of the village, and which serves as an elementary school. It is called Török castle alternatively, as the builder of the castle was József Török.
In 1982, a museum was opened, in which an ethnographical collection can be seen. Concerning Ónod, we have to mention the national fare of livestock, which was held every first Thursday of the month. Even as early as the era of the Anjous, it had the right of holding fares weekly and monthly.