In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
Triangular shield erect, parti per fess by a wavy bar argent. In the upper field gules three cone-shaped hills argent are borne. In the middle hill key or to the sinister is borne encouped, its cannon shaping a cross. The wavy band argent in the fess is adorned with a thread in its center.
In the lower field vert a hart proper with imposing antlers courant to the dexter looking to the sinister is borne encouped.
The settlement is located on the northwest slope of the jebel Gerecse, placed within a beautiful natural environment.
Óbarok forms one prefecture with Nagyegyháza, which is 4 kilometres away. It is one of the smallest villages of the county Fejér. The total area of the village is 1500 hectares; it has a constant population of 750 people. Those who are able to work travel daily to Bicske, Tatabánya and Budapest. The area is rich in mineral treasures; a bauxite mine existed here before the World War.
Two coalmines had been opened as part of the EOCÉN program; however, they were closed down for some well known reasons.
The first written source that mentions Óbarok originates in 1365. In the 15th century the place belonged to the croises of Székesfehérvár. In the 1600’s the Barkó family, who managed the area by itself, possessed the region. From here derives the name of the village.
The commoners had not demanded the title of the village for Óbarok, thus it was administered together with Felcsút between 1850 and 1971. It was then reattached to Bicske. József Zuber bought the estate from the impoverished Barkó family in 1785; then at the turn of the century it became the estate of Mrs. Elemér Békássy and the royal chamber. It remained in the possession of the Békássy family to 1945.
During the land distribution significant quantities of land remained spare, then sovkhoz emerged, and in 1952 the producer’s cooperative was formed.
The population of the villages Óbarok and Nagyegyháza had a referendum in 1999 and they voted through the detachment from the town of Bicske and the formation of a separate village.
According to the decision of the President of the Republic Óbarok became an autonomic village on January 1st 2000.
The newly formed village-council has inherited significant arrearages; therefore their main goal is to catch up with the setbacks in the infrastructure and also to speed up the development of the village.
They drew up and voted first the plan for regularization, which determines the directions of the development. Within this plan the village-council has allocated industrial sectors on three areas, counting on the appearance of investors due to the nearby M1 highway. On one of the sectors, by the highway 811, the local government of Óbarok together with the local government of the village Felcsút plans to build a computer science park.
The application for the industrial park is in progress.