In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
Spade shield erect, base curved to a point. The charges in its chief and fess are references to the town's history. The crown as charge recalls the word, Királytelek, the one-time name of a part of Nyírtelek. The buildings in the fess symbolise the 14 farmhouses, which the settlement originally consisted of. The church, which is borne in the base, is a reference to the religious affiliation of the inhabitants of Nyírtelek, and, at the same time it is also a reminder of the listed historical buildings of the settlement.
Nyírtelek is one of the larger settlements in the western part of the region Nyírség and it is located at a distance of 9 kilometres from Nyíregyháza, the county seat. The settlement is accessible on trunk road No. 38 and the Miskolc-Nyíregyháza main railway line also goes through Nyírtelek.
The today’s settlement of 7000 inhabitants came into being in 1952 when the northeastern parts of Nyíregyháza’s outer districts got united by the name Nyírtelek. Archeological finds attest to it that the area was inhabited by Celts and Sarmatians as early as the Copper, Bronze and the Iron Age. The historical settlement was originally called Királytelek. The anterior constituent Király is a reference to the status of the settlement as crown property. The word Telek was used in the period following the Mongol invasion of Hungary and its meaning was ’a destroyed, churchless settlement’. In 1952, in the year of its creation the town was registered by the name Nyírtelek.
It was likely a member of the Báthory family to have been given the settlement as a royal gift at the end of the 13th century. The town was destroyed by German troops at the end of the 17th century. In the early 18th century it was inherited by members of the Palocsay, then of the Dessewffy family. It was the members of this latter family who invited and settled down families from the region of the Hungarian Upper Highlands. Due to the hard work and various activities of land owner Kálmán Dessewffy, the settlement was already a thriving one in the second half of the 19th century. Kálmán Dessewffy organised and operated a model farm here and also had a local post office and rail lines built. Former land owners and inhabitants returned. At the beginning of the 20th century the members of the Desewffy family divided lands among the poorest villagers.
Architectural sites in the town include the local Roman Catholic church, which was built in 1874. Originally it had served as the private chapel of the Dessewffy family and it had been affiliated with the church of Nyíregyháza.
The statue of the Holy Trinity was erected in the 18th century and originally it had been located at the Dessewffy property at Eperjes.
The Dessewffy mansion was built in the early 19th century by enlarging an old Baroque building.
Nyírtelek is one of those few Hungarian towns, in which population figures have been on the rise.
The most significant local institutions include the following: Hermann Ottó Primary School, Királytelek Primary School, Kindergarten, Home for the Elderly, Family Support and Cultural Centre.