National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Municipality of Nyírmada
Click to zoom

Nyírmada

(Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg County)

The coat of arm of Nyírmada is a rounded rectangle shield, quarterly, with heart shield, surrounded by stylized cloak and crown or, azure, beige and gules. In dexter chief azure stylized tree of life or, in dexter base azure a deer-horse argent. In sinister chief azure a stylized two-headed turul-bird argent, in sinister base azure a stylized flower or, sable and vert is borne. Shield curved on both sides in the middle. In field gules a lily argent contoured sable is borne.

The village is situated in the North-East Nyírség, 40 kilometers away from Nyíregyháza. Its name is mentioned first in 1296. It can easily be reached through Route 41.

At the end of the 16th century the village got a fair-holding right, from this time on, it is mentioned as a town. From early times it has had a school, in 1659, a so-called haversacked master has been teaching there. From 1867 it has had its own post-office, in 1882 the Weinstach crop-selling company was founded. In 1897 the Savings bank of Nyírmada was founded, in the 1890’s a casino was operating in Nyírmada. There has been a reading circle as well. The used-to-be Bay and Boyer castle is now a one-storied Classicist building, which served as a machine station, kindergarten, and since its 2001 renovation functions as the most beautiful and modern rest home.

The village has three churches, the Calvinist church has a clock, and in the cemetery of it there is a graveyard carved as a coffin.

In 1639, Nyírmada was the bishopry of the Tiszántúli Diocese, and the bishop was the priest of Mada, István Domány. In the 18th century Rusyn villeins were located in the village, this is how Greek Catholicism was introduced. Their church was built in 1888, which was partly renovated in 1922, and in 1957 it was rebuilt entirely. In 1897, Mada had a Jewish registry office as well. In 1928, the Roman catholic church separated, and their church was built in 1938. The village’s popular site is the Csokaly-lake, which is a very good place for fishing.

The habit of the harvesting parade, feast and ball was reintroduced. In our village we have a fully built infrastructure.