In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
Nyírlugos is located in Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg County, east of the village of Nyíradony.
The settlement's coat-of-arms can be described as follows:
Triangular shield erect azure and gules, its upper edge biconcave. In the base a tent-shaped motif is borne, azure.
On the dexter side azure in field vert behind a stack of logs, argent a stag proper (brown) is borne, courant to the sinister. The beast is borne in front of a partially hidden birch tree vert, trunked argent. Sinister field dancete (5x), gules. In tent azure a coulter argent, pointing upwards and a ploughshare argent, pointing downwards are borne encouped.
Shield is topped by an embattled mural crown, adorned with three towers. Mantling is issuing from behind the crown and it is borne in the shape of a rose girland vert, adorned with roses and rose buds, all gules.
The coat-of-arms of Nyírlugos is one of the so-called canting arms (tesserae loquentes) and it tells us about the 800-year-old history of the settlement. The dranceted field of gules and argent is a reference to the first written mention of the settlement. According to this document it was the chapter of the archbishopric of Eger, who in the year of 1354 on St. Vincent's Day (January 22) reported to King Lewis the Great that the sons and grandsons of Berreck Bátori (Briccius de Batur) had divided their property among themselves. They had made the decision that the ancient burial place of the Guthkeled clan (from which they also took their origin), the monastery of the Holy Virgin of Adony would remain a joint property. The previously described field of the shield recalls the members of the Guthkeled clan, the original owners of this place. In the same process of dividing the land property, from among the nine properties surrounding the building of the monastery the three grandsons of Bereck, the sons of János received those properties, which 'were called Bud and Lugas; they were also given part of the Nyíregyháza property and all the shares of profits... The landowners were also granted the rights to use the woodlands belonging to the properties of Lugas and Encsencs in order to meet their own and their serfs' needs.'
The charge, borne on the dexter side of the settlement's coat-of-arms is a reference to the previously described use of the nearby forests and at the same time it also commemorates the first dwellers of the area. The partially hidden birch tree is a reminder of the anterior constituent of the settlement's name, while the stag, a typical big game of local forests was also the heraldic beast of the members of the Károlyi family, who used to be the owners of the town for centuries. (A stag is borne in the upper dexter field of their quartered shield). The coulter and the ploughshare borne encouped in the tent-shaped field of the base were taken over from the earliest known seals of the settlement, that is from the seals of 1835, 1853 and 1868. These motives are references to the fact that agriculture has always been the main source of living for the inhabitants of Nyírlugos.
The mural crown gives expression to the hope, that due to the hard work of local inhabitants Nyírlugos will be raised to the rank of town in the near future. From among the three towers of the mural crown the one in the middle symbolises Nyírlugos itself, the one on the right refers to Cserhágó (situated north of Nyírlugos), a place, where the local agricultural state cooperative used to operate. The tower on the left stands for Szabadságtelep, a part of Nyírlugos, located south of the town centre. (This latter part of the settlement dates back to as early as 1428 and it was mentioned by contemporary documents as Szennyes.)
The rose girlands issuing from behind the crown are references to the posterior constituent of the settlement's name.
The population can deservedly be proud of the centuries-old history of Nyírlugos and those efforts which helped them to survive and to boost the development of their native town.
The settlement's coat-of-arms as well as its other emblems are to commemorate the local people's hard work and sacrifice; at the same time they are to intensify the inhabitants' affection toward their native town and to contribute to the prosperity of the town and its population.