National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Nyíradony
Click to zoom

Nyíradony

(Hajdú-Bihar County)

Coat of arms of the Selfgovernment: in the blue shield with a point at the bottom, heraldicly on the right there is a silver coulter standing with its tip up and with its edge out. Heraldicly on the left there is a silver ploughshare standing with its tip up and with its edge out. There is a stylized tree in leaf standing between the coulter and the ploughshare. We have placed an open valiant helmet on the shield with a crown above. The two sides of the shield are surrounded by a red and gold helmet cover heraldicly on the right, blue and silver on the left.

History of settlement

The earliest landowner of the settlement was the Gutkeled clan. The inhabitants of the settlement built a monastery in Adony. This monastery- where the first Hungarian Premonstrant Provostship served- was ruined by the Tartars. The name Adony was first mentioned in written sources in 1307.

The monastery was strengthened in the years following the Route at Mohacs. The monastery with its protecting strong walls had an important role in the inhibition of the population process of the settlement.

Lord Ferenc Károlyi got the propriertship right in 1746. As the property of the Károlyi family the village started to develop and began to gain more and more significance among the neighbouring settlements.

Nyíradony belonged to the Ligetalja district of Szabolcs county until 1950. However, Nyíradony was more bound to Debrecen than to Nyíregyháza even in the last century. There was incredible powerty and backwardness in the region in the Dualism period.

Nyíradony and its region got into and even more disadvantageous state after the First World War. The new state boarder cut a social-economic relations. The connections with Érmihályfalva, Nagykároly and Szatmárnémeti- which remained on the other side of the boarder ceased to exist.

The development after the Second World War resulted in the town ranking of the settlement in 1992.