National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Novajidrány [¤]
Click to zoom

Novajidrány

(The County of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén)

Triangular military shield erect and tiercy, vert, argent and gules. In field vert two scythes argent are borne crosswise; in field argent the charge of an oak tree vert is borne encouped and in field gules two wavy bends argent. Shield is topped by a three-pointed verdured crown; the leaves are arranged in a way that they remind of a ploughshare. Shield is flanked by an oak branch or on the dexter and an alder branch or on the sinister side.

Novajidrány is a settlement at the eastern edge of the Cserhát range of hills, located in the vicinity of the Bársonyos stream and the Hernád river. Trunk road No. 3 and the Miskolc-Kassa subsidiary railway line both run along the settlement.

The village of Novajidrány came into being in 1936, when the settlement of Alsó- and Felsőnovaj as well as Idrány got united. The area of the settlement was inhabited as early as the prehistoric age, a fact, which is attested by archeological finds from the Bronze Age as well as from the period of the Celts. The name of the settlement got first mentioned in wrting in 1245 as Noe. In the 8th century two villages existed by the same name. In 1255 the fields of Alsónovaj were bestowed by King Béla IV on the provost of Jászó. In the early 14th century, in addition to the provost of Jászó, several noblemen had land properties in the area. At the end of the 14th century the settlement got mentioned in documents as a place entitled to collect taxes. A village called Sárvár was located west of medieval Novaj and according to census figures of 1715 in that period it was already depopulated. Consequently, the area was used by inhabitants of other settlements, including people from Felsőnovaj and Garadna. Today the area is an outer part of Novajidrány and it is called Sárvár.

After the battle of Mohács of 1526 Novaj became part of the Regéci estate and in the period of the dual monarchy occasionally it was part of King Ferdinánd’s property and occasionally it was part of King John’s estate. Alsónovaj in 1531 as well as in 1533 belonged to the convent of Jászó, while the owner of Felsőnovaj was György Serédi, who was followed by King Ferdinand. The king later bestowed the village on János Alaghy Békeny. Through Judit Alaghy Békeny Felsőnovaj, as well as Novaj became part of the Rákóczi estate, then the settlements were taken over by the members of the Thurzó family. Following the death of Ádám Thurzó the entire estate was given over as a gift to Palatine Miklós Eszterházy. At the end of the 16th century the inhabitants of the three villages all converted to Calvinism. In the Middle Ages each village had its own church. Marauding Turks caused considerable damage in the area. At the beginning of the 18th century the inhabitants lived mostly from agriculture. Economic development was halted by frequent epidemics.

In the early 18th century the inhabitants were Calvinists. The Roman Catholic parish was established at Alsónovaj in 1783 upon the initiative of provost Gellért Chák. Later the parish church itself was erected at Felsőnovaj in Baroque style and it was consecrated to honour the Virgin Mary. Consequently, Felsőnovaj became the parish centre. After the liberation of villeins the number of small land properties increased. The inhabitants lived from agriculture in the early 20th century as well and trade as well as crafts were generally underdeveloped in the area. After the three settlements got united the number of inhabitants began to grow slowly. From the mid-20th century onward agriculture began to lose its significance and the proportion of those, who were employed in industry, transport and trade, increased. Traditional rural society began to disintegrate. 20th century events had their impact on the life of the settlement as well. The fights of the second world war had the most direct influence, since German, Russian and Romanian troops, when they marched through the settlement, did not spare its civilian population either. Local council operated in the village from 1950 onward. In the middle of the 1970s a joint council was established with the village of Garadna and it operated until the political changes of 1989. Today Novajidrány and Garadna belong to a joint notarial district. The two settlements operate one school to cater for the inhabitants’ educational needs. Novajidrány has its own railway station and from the mid-1980s onward the village became part of the national water and gas system.