National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Nagyveleg
Click to zoom

Nagyveleg

(Fejér County)

The coat of arms: triangular shield erect, azure. In base, on a triple mound vert stands an ancient Hungarian soldier proper. The warrior with hair sable and moustache hanging down sable wears the clothing of the time of the Hungarian conquest.

The soldier’s clothing: under the white (argent) cloak with a cuff gules reaching below the knees brown boots can be seen. A brown belt with a buckle or at his waist holds down the warrior’s cloak opening towards dexter. On the warrior’s dexter side a brown bag is hanging down from the belt on two thinner brown belts. The end of the belt that hangs down from the belt buckle or vertically to sinister reaches to the height of the bag.

The soldier wears on his head a high cap gules with the top or, and his hair is held into two tails by two round discs or.

The warrior holds three arrows sable with their arrowheads upwards in his dexter hand, his arm bent at the elbow. In his other hand he holds a bow sable with hilt or carried on his sinister shoulder.

In chief two smaller triangular shields are borne. The dexter smaller shield is party per fess seven times white (argent) and gules. In the sinister smaller shield, field gules a conventional white (argent) rose with five petals. In the middle of the conventional rose a heart gules and on the heart a cross sable can be seen.

Interpretation of the coat of arms:

Nagyveleg is an ancient settlement from the time of the Hungarian conquest; the first written mentioning of its name is in Miklós Csák’s will from 1230. According to a tradition still alive, it got its name from chief VELEK, who was mentioned by ANONYMUS many times in his writings. According to the anonym scrivener of King Béla III, VELEK was chief Árpád’s most noble soldier, as a reward for his faithfulness he was appointed the overseer of Zaránda. The Hungarian soldier in the coat of arms of the village symbolizes the person giving his name to the village, chief VELEK, whose golden high cap shows his state of a chief.

The green triple mound is a theme referring to the hummocky character of the village, since Nagyveleg lies at the most western edge of the Bakony Mountains, by the Móri-ditch.

The smaller striped shield in the coat of arms is a theme referring to chief Árpád and the Hungarian conquest. In the other smaller shield the “Lutheran rose” coming from the coat of arms of the Evangelical Church refers to the “second conquest”. Under the Turkish subjection Kisveleg and Nagyveleg both were destroyed. After expelling the Turks Evangelical families from Trencsén County of the highland and from Vas and Veszprém counties were settled in the village in 1746.

In summary: The coat of arms of Nagyveleg is a so-called canting arm, since with its unique compositions and themes it tells about the name, history and geographical position of the village.