National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Nagyút
Click to zoom

Nagyút

(Heves county)

Shield erect, base curved to a point. Base brun in a bordure jaune. In the middle the picture of St. Vendel, the patron saint of the village. In dexter hand a Latin cross, in sinister hand a shepherd’s crook. At his feet a ram couchant. St. Vendel is also a patron saint of shepherds.

The history of Nagyút:

Nagyút is in Heves county, at the feet of the Mátra, on the north of the Alföld. On the north of the village the main railway between Budapest and Miskolc can be found, on the south, the auto route M3 can be found, while to the west the creek Tarnóca flows with its ancient, bushy and scrubby islands. Even the early Sarmatians chose this landscape as a habitat, the explanation might be its fortunate geographical position, nearby creeks, waters, meadows and good soil.

On branch of the Sarmatians, The Yazigs, who were raising horses, lived here between the 2nd and 4th century A.D. This is confirmed by the rich archeological relics found nearby the M3 auto route. Cemeteries from the Avar time proved that later Avars inhabited this area. At the time of the Árpáds, the territory belonged to the Aba Clan.

It is first mentioned in a charter in 1301 in the form of Noguth. (Other occurent names: Nogwoth, Neguch, Negut) In 1322, the land belongs to a Transylvanian vaivoda Tamás Széchenyi, In the middle of the 16th century the village was annihilated by the Turkish, but the end of the century, it was populated again and became the part of the Lordship of Debrő. From 1603, it was owned by the Rákóczi family. In 1710, Kaiser Joseph I sold it to Christian Mihály Althán for 40000 forints. In 1740, Baron Antal Grassalkovich bought the whole Lordship of Debrő, and his son, Antal inherited the whole in1771, who later became a prince. Later the land was rented by the baron Orczy family till 1825, and after it, the territory belonged to Antal Forgách, who inherited it from his grandmother. He sold it finally to Count György Károlyi, and the first president of Hungary, Count Mihály Károlyi (1919-1920) became the owner of the land. In the second part of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, the capital agricultural activity was vivid in the village. Four farms were built: Közép-major, Csárda-major, Csikó-major and Göböly-járás. In 1897, with the lead of August Strol, a German engineer, a central machine shop and a four-story corn container were built. In the 1870’s the still working Eötvös school was founded. In the 1930’s, the state wanted to build an example village according to the plans of János Csonka and Zsigmond Deáki. The village was ready by 1939-40.

The new village consisted of the servants of the four farms and new settlers from 77 other villages. In 1947-48 the inhabitants of Tarnóca and Erzsébettér settled in the village. Today’s school was built in 1941-42, the church was built during the Rákosi era, in 1950-53.

Today, the houses of the village have water pipes, gas and telephone. Its oldest relic is a monument of St. Vendel, from the year 1791. Today, in Göböly-járás, racing horses are raised.