National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Municipality of Nagymányok [¤]
Click to zoom

Nagymányok

(The County of Tolna)

The coat-of-arms of Nagymányok is a shield with a rounded base, at honour point parti per fess gules and azure. Chief gules lozengy (bendy dexter sinister) with fillets argent. In fess and in base azure a six-branched wreath or as the chief motif, the branches each ending in three elliptic leaves. The shape of the wreath's floral ornament originates in the torchwood from the Holy Bible.

The shape of the branch and the arrangement of the leaves of the laburnum, native to Transdanubia and the Mecsek Hill, are identical with those of the torchwood; therefore, this motif may, among other things, be attributable to the topography of the municipality.

The wreath means the municipality itself and the keeping of traditions, whereas the rounded branch and the plait-like representation of the wreath symbolise the settlement's revival after the Mongol invasion and the Turkish occupation.

The blue is the colour of freedom, whereas the gold refers to the past. The colour red in the chief, and the blue in the fess and in the base are the traditional colours of the county of Tolna. The silver fillets appearing against the red background symbolise local industry, while the black border surrounding the shield refers to coal mining and briquet industry, which played a decisive role in the development of the municipality until recently. The fillets in the chief symbolise the local nunnery, but at the same time they refer to the interdependence and inter-relationship of the Germans and the Hungarians living in the municipality.

Nagymányok is situated on the northern side of the eastern spur of the Mecsek Hill, in the southern edge of the county of Tolna. The tomb with the skeleton of a horse, excavated in the northern part of the municipality, bears evidence of the fact that the settlement was inhabited as early as the great migration. The first written document relating to the village dates back to 1015, when the municipality of Maneg (Mányok) is mentioned in the deed of foundation of the Benedictine monastery at Pécsvárad. The name of the municipality had changed several times in history before in 1437 it was mentioned by its current name for the first time.

After the Turkish rule the depopulated village was in 1722 settled by Germans, the majority of whom was engaged in agriculture.

The first explorations of coal started in the 1820s, but coal mining as an industry only began at the end of the 1880s. From that time onwards it was the operation of the mine that determined the development of the village until 1964, when the mine was closed down. The briquet factory, albeit seasonally, is still operating.

There are 2,700 people living in the municipality, out of whom 50 per cent are Germans. The dwellers aim at keeping traditions, as well as preserving German culture and the heritage of country life. It was this endeavour that brought to life the German Heritage Group of Nagymányok and the country house located in the municipality centre. The atmosphere created by the dwellers makes it possible for the German-speaking people of the village to experience the feeling of belonging to both the German and the Hungarian communities without conflict.

Pictures:

1. Folk costume display by a local ensemble

2. The village from the south

3. The Roman Catholic church