National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Nagykőrös [¤]
Click to zoom

Nagykőrös

(The County of Pest)

In the field gules of a shield erect bordered or, on a lawny ground vert an ash tree verdured proper. The upper part of the mantling is a Baroque ornament or; hanging from it on both sides a plaitwork of leaves vert. Above the shield a five-pointed open crown or, borne alaisé.

The town gained its name from the ash tree, which is native to the region and grows mainly in low-lying land.

Following the Magyar conquest, the region first belonged to the clan of Bor-Kalán, and remained in the possession of landlords until as late as the early 19th century. The settlement's first mention was made in 1266, in a charter issued by King Béla IV. Until the 14-15th centuries it was a village (villa), as was the case with several of the region's minor settlements, which one by one had got depopulated in the 13-14th centuries. However, owing to its central location, Nagykőrös started to develop, by partially absorbing the inhabitants of the depopulated villages, and by incorporating their fields. In the late 15th century, during the reign of King Mathias, Nagykőrős became a market town (oppidum), a status that the settlement was able to hold throughout the 16th and 17th centuries, during the Turkish occupation (its farmsteads made extensive animal husbandry possible, and the livestock was sold on foreign markets). Owing to its wealthy citizens and the Reformed Church, the market town's autonomy became more marked (as a hász town, i.e. one directly subjected to the Sublime Porte, it remained relatively independent of local Turkish authorities, local landowners, and the authorities of the Hapsburg-ruled Hungarian state).

Not even in the 18th century were its landowners (Keglevich, Forgách, Rákóczi-Aspremont, Sztáray and others) able to take Nagykőrös into their full possession, thus they sold their shares to the local community, and in the 1820s the settlement, by redeeming itself from under the bondage to landlords, gained the status of free town. The people of Nagykőrős took their fair share in the war of independence of 1848-9, after the fall of which, at the college of the Reformed Church the most learned notabilities of the nation, such as János Arany, one of the greatest of all Hungarian poets, taught and cherished national culture.

In the second half of the 19th and in the first half of the 20th century, Nagykőrös achieved a significant economic growth. Its vegetable and fruit growing became famous and, owing to its canning industry (Gschwindt factory), food processing also started to develop. In our days it is pipe making, unique to the whole of Hungary, that contributes to the fame of the town.

E-mail: nkpohiv@axelero.hu