National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Nagykanizsa [¤]
Click to zoom

Nagykanizsa

(The County of Zala)

The market towns of Transdanubia started to have their seals engraved in the 17th century. In the case of Nagykanizsa this happened relatively late, toward the end of the century, after the town had been liberated from the Turkish rule. Thus the engraving of the seal took place in 1695.

At the beginning of the 20th century (from 1903 in fact), based on the expert opinion given by the National Archives, the coat-of-arms of Nagykanizsa changed by being complemented according to the conventions of heraldry: "Shield parti per fess argent and gules. In chief and partly in fess argent an eagle displayed sable, holding in the beak an olive branch, in the sinister talon a moon decrescent, in the dexter talon a sabre drawn, all argent. In base and partly in fess gules on a field vert a castle bastion proper, with the gate open. Across the top a helmet with a closed visor, crested with a crown or. Mantling to the dexter and the sinister gules and argent."

On the basis of the above description the town's new coat-of-arms was in 1903 approved by His Majesty's Ministry of the Interior.

As indicated by the basic tinctures of the shield, the town's traditional colours are red and silver. Nagykanizsa set a fine example of how a coat-of-arms should be complemented according to the centuries-old traditions of heraldry, and how to observe the rules that were formed in its heroic age - rules that were ever so often violated by certain designers of city coats-of-arms in the 70s and 80s of the 20th century.

The coat-of-arms of this town, which lived a stormy history in the south of the county of Zala, was used until 1949 and it was an outstanding nationwide-level example of the development and complementation of a coat-of-arms.

After 1949, towns in Hungary were not allowed to use their own coats-of-arms for nearly twenty years. However, following certain initiatives taken in the 1960s, a decree issued by the Council of Ministers in 1970 and later in 1974 rendered it possible that towns create their own coats-of-arms referring both to their historical past and to their contemporary characteristics.

Nagykanizsa had completed its "socialist" coat-of-arms by 1970, which was approved by the municipal council with the decree of 1/1970. This coat-of-arms violated the centuries-old traditions of heraldry.

Toward the end of the 1980s, based on the changes in politics, the demand for the replacement of the old coats-of-arms grew throughout the country.

It was on 14 June 1990 that the municipal council unanimously voted for the replacement of the flag and coat-of-arms used since 1903 and, at the same time, brought their use under regulation.

E-mail: pmh_kanizsa@mail.sienet.hu

Pictures:

1. Deák tér (square) (detail)

2. Erzsébet tér (square) (detail)

3. The new Market Hall