National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Nagyhalász [¤]
Click to zoom

Nagyhalász

(The County of Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg)

The settlement’s coat of arms can be described as follows:

Shield erect. In base azure the charge of a boat is borne, or. Chief and fess party per pale. In sinister field argent the charge of a sun or, a stylised wheat field with five ears of wheat and one ear of corn. In dexter field or the charge of the moon crescent is borne argent, as well as stylised reeds with a bundle of five reeds and one sedge. Between them borne vertically a fish naiant and azure.

The history of the town can be described as follows:

As it is attested by archeological research the area of Nagyhalász has uninterruptedly been inhabited since the period of the New Stone Age. The area, which was rich in pastures, woods and waters, was attractive for the conquering Hungarians as well. The remains of two 10-11th century cemeteries and the ruins of a monastery were found by archeologists in the vicinity of the village. The monastery got also mentioned in a document of 1311 signed by King Charles Robert. Generally the Árpád-age churches of the county were small size buildings with an area of 25-75 square metres. The area of the church of the monastery of Nagyhalász was about 100 square metres, that is twice the traditional size. This fact also underlines the significance of the settlement in early Hungarian history.

The village of Nagyhalász belonged to the properties of the castle of Szabolcs and was inhabited by the serfs of the castellan until as late as the end of the Árpád-age, or at least until 1240-42. The name of the settlement got first mentioned in writing in 1243 when it was bestowed on Comes István by King Béla IV.

As early as the beginning of the 14th century Nagyhalász was one of the most significant settlements of Szabolcs County. As it is attested by a document of 1311-23 and issued for Lukács, son of Gergely Péci, the village at that time had two centres; one was the part called Halász and the other one was located in the vicinity of the Tisza river and it was called Belhalász. The two parts were eventually united in 1404 by the name Nagyhalász.

The growth of the settlement was speeded up by the existence of a major road (magna via) in the vicinity, which ran from Kállósemjén to Halász through the village of Napkor (mentioned in writing as early as 1311) and the nearby ferry crossing on the Tisza river, where tolls were also collected. The most significant landowners of the area included the members of the Paksi, Bay and Kállay families.

Written sources from the 15th-17th centuries are scarce, but there is a record of great significance from that period saying that in 1536 Nagyhalász was ’…one of the most populous places in Szabolcs County, inhabited by 430-440 people.’ In that period the landowners did not live at Nagyhalász, they built their residenctial homes on other estates. The area of the settlement and of its outer fields was about 20.000 acres. The land was used by the local inhabitants and they paid taxes to the landowner in return. The inhabitants of the settlement lived from animal husbandry, fishing and from cutting reeds.

Elek Fényes wrote in his Economic Dictionary of Hungary, Volume I, published in 1851 as follows: ’ The area of Nagyhalász is 22,500 acres, from which only an area of 500 acres comprises dry land (2.2.%) The rest is occasionally flooded by the Tisza river. These wet areas are also utilised by the inhabitants for cutting reed and grass from them.’

After the riverbed got regulated and the protective dams were built (1848-1858) the area got dried up and new lands were drawn into agricultural cultivation. The area of ploughlands increased and thus the emphasis of local agricultural activities shifted from animal husbandry to plant cultivation. Wheat, rye, barley, wild peas, cabbage, carrots, peas, lentils and potatoes were grown in the area and from the second half of the 19th century food industry also appeared in the area. ’Our produce was milled in one of the 7 dry mills of our settlement. In addition, one windmill and one water mill were also in operation.’

The village of Nagyhalász was a thriving settlement at the end of the 19th, and also at the beginning of the 20th century. The number of its inhabitants was continuously on the rise and its economy was considered modern. In 1920 there were 752 houses in the village and the number of inhabitants was 5701.

At Nagyhalász 15 different kinds of agricultural plants were grown in an area larger than 100 hectares. 83-90% of the produce was sold to the local hemp processing plant, which was built in 1905 by Count Jenő Zoárd of Odeschalch. In addition to that the settlement had several mills, an oil press, a vegetable dehydrating plant, a lumberyard, a canning factory and a mint factory. They operated their local slaughterhouse and distillery as well. According to the statistical figures of 1926 the number of local craftsmen was 66 and there were 29 tradesmen among the inhabitants.

In that period public education was given by 1 state school, 4 village schools and one Jewish school. In addition there were several middle schools, 1 was run by the state, 4 by the village and 1 by the Jewish community of the settlement. The village also had its own agricultural educational centres.

The cultural life of the settlement was also noteworthy. 16 cultural clubs and several choirs operated in the village before 1945. Every winter theatrical performances were held.

The name of the village of Nagyhalász got first mentioned in writing in 1243 and 750 years later, on December 1, 1993 it was raised to the rank of town.