National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Town of Nagybajom [¤]
Click to zoom


(Somogy County)

The settlement’s coat of arms can be described as follows:

Shield erect and azure, its upper edge is arched, its base is curved to a point. In field azure on ground vert a plover argent is borne; the bird is turning toward the sinister, its beak, neck and crest are sable. Shield is topped by a three-towered masoned crown argent. Below the shield two oak branches vert are borne crosswise, fructed with six acorns or and tied with two ribbons or.

The history and the symbolic meanings of Nagybajom’s coat of arms can be described as follows:

The plover as the settlement’s emblem first appeared as part of the village judge’s seal print of 1702. Apart from shorter interruptions this same charge was later to be used in the settlement’s coat of arms until as late as 1908. Due to the work of the National Registration Committee in 1908 the charge of the bird then was taken over as part of the shield of Nagybajom’s coat of arms. Local emblems were banned to use from 1948 onward and Nagybajom’s coat of arms was only reintroduced in 1991. This was the year when in addition to keeping the main charge of the settlement’s old coat of arms the creators of the new emblem added the mural crown and the red and golden mantling to it.

When Nagybajom was raised to the rank of town in 2001 the settlement’s coat of arms was also reinterpreted in a more academic manner. The plover used to be a typical bird of the region of low, swampy areas. Today the charge of this bird is a reference to the cherishing of the settlement’s traditions but together with the oak branches it is also a symbol of the beauty of the natural environment, which surrounds Nagybajom. The twelve acorns have a special meaning. In the Middle Ages Nagybajom was surrounded by twelve smaller settlements, which got destroyed in the period of the Turkish Conquest. The memory of these twelve settlements is kept alive by the use of the twelve acorns in Nagybajom’s present-day coat of arms. The silver mural crown evokes the memory of the one-time nearby fortresses of Bajom and Korotna. Today the crown is also a symbol of the town’s local government and autonomy.

The town of Nagybajom lies in the heart of Somogy County, at a distance of 25 kilometres from Kaposvár, at 33 kilometres from Marcali and at a distance of 20 kilometres from Nagyatád. North of the settlement there is an untouched area of 270 square kilometres which stretches as far as the Balaton-Nagyberek region. By establishing the Boronka-region landscape-protection area Nagybajom’s natural resources are to be preserved for the generations to come. This area is famous for a number of unique species of plants and animals. It is one of the aims of the inhabitants of Nagybajom to protect their settlement’s natural beauty and this fact is also reflected in the charges and the outer ornaments of the town’s coat of arms. The plover appeared as early as 1702 as the settlement’s official emblem. This nigrating grallatory bird was a common species in the area at that time.

The settlement was first mentioned in 1197 as part of the list of the property of the Abbey of Zselicszentjakab. Due to the size of the area and to the fact that it was owned by different people two settlements by the name Bajom came into existence by the end of the 13th century. It was the end of the 14th century that the two settlements were registered by the two different names of Nagybajom and Kisbajom.

One of the famous landowners of the area was István Sárközy, whose mansion used to offer inspiration and accomodation for the famous Hungarian poets, Mihály Csokonai Vitéz and Dániel Berzsenyi as well.

In 1859 Nagybajom was given the right of holding annually four national fairs and at the same time it was raised to the rank of market town. In 1996 Nagybajom was given the international title of a ’stork village’. In 2001 the settlement was raised to the rank of town.