National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Nádudvar [** ¤]
Click to zoom

Nádudvar

(The County of Hajdú-Bihar)

Nádudvar is probably an ancient settlement, because prior to the regulation of the waterworld of Hortobágy it used to serve as an important ferry. Its first historical mention is also related to this function.

The settlement's coat-of-arms is a shield framed or, the base curved to a point. The frame is studded with rivets or. In the field azure on a ground vert a stork proper (tinctured argent and sable), standant on the dexter foot, with the sinister foot raised. The beak and the feet are tinctured gules.

On the dexter three ears of wheat, issuing from four leaves, all or. On the sinister, issuant from a ground (island) vert surrounded by water azure a sedge proper (brown) leaved or with five maces. Across the top a barred tournament helmet proper at a slant, bordered or; round the gorget on a ribbon a medaillon, all or. The helmet is ensigned with a three-pointed crown verdured or, adorned with two pearls and gems gules (five in the headband and one each in the verdures). The crest is an arm proper, vambraced, issuing from the sinister and holding a scimitar argent.

The scarves are gules and argent on the dexter, azure and or on the sinister.

Nádudvar's coat-of-arms belongs to the category of canting arms, as long as it is a reminder of the one-time waterworld surrounding the settlement, the first documented mention of which goes back to 1407. The green field emerging from the water emphasises Nádudvar's importance as a ferry in the network of roads across the waterworld. The stork, the typical bird of wild waters is also a religious symbol, the representation of Christ, the greatest enemy of the primeval snake. Thus it refers to the religious life of the inhabitants, as well as to parental and filial love.

The three ripe ears of wheat reflect the fertility of land and the hard work of its dwellers, as a result of which the settlement was described as a market town as early as in 1506. This might be indicated by the golden frame of the shield. The sedge, a typical plant of the region, was an important base material of handicrafts in the Middle Ages.

The helmet evokes the dwellers who died in the wars, whereas the vambraced arm with the scimitar is a reminder of the one-time noble landlords as well as of the local people's valour, which they needed in order to survive the stormy history of past centuries.

Pictures:

1. The interior of the Trófea hunting lodge

2. The Calvinist church and the vicarage

3. The thermal baths