National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Mohács [¤]
Click to zoom

Mohács

(County Baranya)

Coated seals of Mohács have been known since 1712. The coat-of-arms which was in use from 1974 onward, mainly due to the legal restrictions of the time, could not be the legally justifiable successor of the town's earlier armorial bearings. From 1741 about ten versions of the town's coat-of-arms have been in use. The local authority, when they passed their decree on the town's armorial bearings, flag and colours, considered the heraldic traditions represented by these earlier variations, especially by the features of the coat-of-arms that had been registered under No. 20.739/1938 B.M [Ministry of the Interior].

Shield erect, the base curved to a point. It bears: azure, on a ground vert the full figure of a warrior habited gules, booted or, wearing a fur-trimmed high cap gules (a Haiduk high cap leaning to the sinister), holding a scimitar argent in the dexter hand, and a flag gules and argent in the sinister hand. The flagpole is tinctured proper, the long banner crosses the pole, which is held by the warrior's hand at the point of crossing. Between (behind) the warrior's slightly straddled legs the scimitar sheath is borne.

Across the top a barred helm affronty gorged with a triple-pointed crown fleurs-de-lis, and for the crest the same warrior issuing from the crown, the figure showing from the thigh upwards. Mantling: dexter: azure and or, sinister: gules and argent.

Mohács, one of the earliest settlements of the conquering Magyars, came into being on the southern border line of the Transdanubian part of the country. The first documented mention of Mohács goes back to 1093, whereby it is described as a settlement situated on both banks of the River Danube.

Following the devastations of the Mongol invasion, considerable development started at Mohács, due to which the settlement became the centre of the nobiliary comitat, which came into being in the 13th and 14th centuries. Then, from the 15th century onward, it was a market town. This period of prosperity came to an end with the Turkish conquest. After the disastrous defeat of the Hungarians at the Battle of Mohács (1526), the town got almost completely destroyed, but later the Turks rebuilt it. Following the second, this time victorious battle of 1687, the population was so scarce that a large number of various nationalities including Catholic Hungarians, Sokác (a group of southern Slavs), Germans and Greek Orthodox Serbs had to be settled down. Gypsies flowed in almost uninterruptedly, and sporadic groups of Jews also appeared.

The inhabitants initially made their living out of animal husbandry and agriculture. Due to industrialization and bourgeois development, from the second half of the 19th century Mohács emerged as an important trade centre from among the settlements of the region: the town boasted a lot of new projects including the construction of the Mohács-Pécs railway line and a new port, as well as the building of a hospital, the town hall, the public higher elementary school and a pharmacy. The process of industrial and urban development was halted by the outbreak of the first world war, but in 1929 Mohács became a town of county rank.

Today's Mohács of 20,400 inhabitants is characterised by multi-ethnicity and religious diversity. Four ethnic self governments (German, Gipsy, Croatian and Serbian) have been elected. By religious denomination, the majority of the inhabitants are Roman Catholics.

The town has established international relations of great importance, and is twinned with towns in Romania, Germany, Poland and Croatia.

Today Mohács is an important hub. Trunk road 56 leading from Budapest to Eszék (Croatia) via Udvar leads through the town, and it is also here that trunk road 57 to Pécs branches off. A ferry service across the Danube, operating every 30 minutes, provides a link between Transdanubia and the Great Plain. The projected M6 motorway, a new bridge across the Danube, and the industrial park to be established in the near future are all expected to have a profound stimulative effect on local economy.

At present, most people are employed in industry, services and agriculture. Local labour potential may best be utilised in industry and in agriculture-related industrial services.